integrated weight system on BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wussies! :D

Don't tighten 'em so tight (gee whiz :) ). I use a crotch strap with just a bathing suit on every week and have no problems at all.

Later.

Mike

I use integrated weight and love them..but remember there is a weight limit to each pocket (normally 10lbs each). If that weight is exceded it can cause too much stress on the pocket and they may fall out at depth. Some BCs have different size pockets that can hold more weight, and most do have trim weight pockets.

If you need more weight, think about tank weight pockets that attach to your tank strap.

ladycute, I'm guessing you are diving dry? Is it possible to cinch down your waist strap at depth to keep your BC in place, or will that screw everything up? I don't know much about drysuits...except I never want to wear one! (well.....never say never, right?:wink: )

No Scubabunny, I'm not diving with a dry suit. Because of my size and shape, I need a Men's XL BC.... that means even with cinching it down... it ends to be a bit loose in the shoulders / chest area...

It works FINE with a weight belt. I've tried weight integrated systems, and while many people love them, they haven't worked well for me. I'm very happy with my system of weight belt and bc.

:mean:

ladycute1,

Are you sure you need an XL? I find most people use BC's that are too large for them. I'm 5' 8" and weigh 170, yet I'm quite comfortable in an XS BC. The S fits slightly better, but the XS works quite well. I never hook the chest strap as they serve no useful purpose. You might experiment with smaller BC's. As for switching to weight integrated, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DSSW,

WWW™

Hi Walter....

Thanks for your support in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' category!

In terms of size, yep, I need an XL.... I have a very large hour glass figure.... ok, ok... perhaps it is a 'month-glass' --- but, my point is, that my hips are large.... I'm well out of the range of women's BC sizes... So, that leaves me with a men's. Now, most men have body shapes that get narrower in the hips... So, in order to to get a bc that will go around my waist and the top of my hips... In order to get one where the cumberbun will close securely, I need an XL.

Now, I have thought about making a velcro extension so that I could lengthen the cumberbun, but, frankly, that falls into the category of 'if it ain't broke..... '

:mean:

I don't see how a crotch strap is comfortable.

However, I do believe that Scubapro has a double belt crotch strap. Instead of a single strap running down the middle of your genitals it has a dual strap that are placed on both sides-truly in your "crotch" on not on your privates. It's more of a harness than a strap. Like parachutest(sp?) wear. Looks much more comfortable.
Someday, when I get big, I'm going to get a backplate and rig the aforementioned design to it. No single crotch strap for me!!

Mike

Ladychute1
From your description of your problems it sounds like your just asking to get a backplate and harness. They can be made to fit YOU-not you fit the BC. You can also put integrated weights on any harness if so desired.

Originally posted by buff
I don't see how a crotch strap is comfortable.

However, I do believe that Scubapro has a double belt crotch strap. Instead of a single strap running down the middle of your genitals it has a dual strap that are placed on both sides-truly in your "crotch" on not on your privates. It's more of a harness than a strap. Like parachutest(sp?) wear. Looks much more comfortable.
Someday, when I get big, I'm going to get a backplate and rig the aforementioned design to it. No single crotch strap for me!!

Mike

The crotch strap for my Ranger is designed the same way and it is very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom