Integrated weight vs. non-integrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WIth much experimentation with various styles of weight belts, and always comming up with the same problem of at the end of a dive any dive my weight belt always ends up at my ankles. A couple of years ago I decided to customize my bc by placing individual soft weight in the pockets.

I've always used abut 30 lbs depending on where I dive. So I place 3 5lb weights in each pocket. It has worked very wel for me the ast three or four years. If I were to have a problem instead of dropping an entire weight bbelt which I think is quite foolish since I could have more problems. I would take out one weight at a time.

Taking out 1 soft weight should give me plenty of extra lift should I need it. I am a fairly careful diver, plus I always have my pony bottle with me. That way if I had a problem with my octo I can easily switch to the pony and start a very controlled and safe ascent.

I have never had a loose soft weight fall out of a pocket. But when I first bought my bc it was both semi integrated in which I had two 15 lb weights attatched to the bc with a snap on type release set up. On one dive I did have one of those weights fall out. I didn't realise what had happened until the end of the dive. I was on a walk in dive all of the sudden I started to ascend very quickly. I was able to control the ascent by kicking very hard and grabbing onto a rock.

I was able to conrol my trim by adjusting my air in the bc. At the end of the dive I looked at my bc and I realised that I was missing a weight pouch. I decided right then and there that that set up was not right for me and proceeded to try various weight belt configurations. They weren't right for me so I used a little yankee ingnuity and came up with my customisation. It has worked very well for me.

WIth my customization I do descend feet first, but by the time I'm at the bottom or where I want to be I've adjusted myself to proper trim. So I'm ok and comfortable with that. Plus I do dive a lot by myself so I must be able to take care of myself if the need arises. Evne when I'm on a charter or with a dive buddy. When you first enter the water you're basically on yur own for a few minutes or seconds at the least. Being comfortable with your set up and knowing where your buddies releases are are very important.

WIth much experimentation with various styles of weight belts, and always comming up with the same problem of at the end of a dive any dive my weight belt always ends up at my ankles. A couple of years ago I decided to customize my bc by placing individual soft weight in the pockets.

I've always used abut 30 lbs depending on where I dive. So I place 3 5lb weights in each pocket. It has worked very wel for me the ast three or four years. If I were to have a problem instead of dropping an entire weight bbelt which I think is quite foolish since I could have more problems. I would take out one weight at a time.

Taking out 1 soft weight should give me plenty of extra lift should I need it. I am a fairly careful diver, plus I always have my pony bottle with me. That way if I had a problem with my octo I can easily switch to the pony and start a very controlled and safe ascent.

However, if your unconcious and in need of surface life support, mouth to mouth, and your weights are hid all over the place how would the rescue people know where they all are. It is much better to be able to dump a belt or clearly marked weight integration pockets (small trim pockets excluded) . N

I've heard that there are suspenders out there for weight belts. I don't think that I'd be comfortable with them, because that would defeat the purpose of a quick release system. SO dropping 1 weight at a time is fine by me. A nice controlled safe ascent. If I do have to ascend very quickly its becasue I just saw a huge great white and I don't want to be supper.

First of all if I dive with someone, before we went into the water I'd tell them where my weights are. That is part of a pre dive check with a buddy. Good question though.

However I prefer getting bent then to have to watch that bug on your screen all day.

Intergrated BCD's abandoned the Velcro retainers that failed after wear years ago. I've seen far more divers lose weight belts than intergrated pockets. Garrabo said it nicely, Big belly, small butt problems. I dive a Sherwood Avid, I can trim it out for perfect horizontal trim.

Back
Top Bottom