Integrated weights question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standingbear56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Everyone,
I have a question about the ability to remove and replace your scuba unit underwater. It is my understanding that the latest requirements for PsD (I believe according to the NFPA) requires a separate weight system - intergrated systems are not allowed. This is due to the requirement that the diver need to be able to remove/replace their system in case of entanglement.
I do not question the need to remove/replace equipment in case of entanglement, but if a person is trained and equipped properly, this can be done easily and safely with an intergrated system also. The proper way to do it is to remove the weights from the system and place them either in side pockets on the exposure suit or clipped off on a belt worn under the bcd. At this point the system can be removed and replaced as any other unit without the diver hanging on to it for dear life trying not to float away. A properly trained diver can do this easily and fast.
It is my understanding that this regulation came about because many divers using intergrated systems have not been properly trained in this procedure. Would having this training make any difference with complience. The reason I am asking is that several of our teams have intergrated systems (mainly Zeagle Rangers and SARs) and the cost to buy new systems is out of the budget at this time, and the way the Zeagles fit a weight belt/harness is not practical.
Thanks in advance,
George

A lot of PSD is about KISS. Adding extra steps gets away from KISS.

If you happen to be entangled in line or netting you may not be able to get weights out of a system and into a pocket. Then there is the possibility of dropping the weights in the process. Heavy gloves, zero vis and hightened nerves are not a good combo to be removing weights when you don't have to.

I don’t care how well one is trained and proficient in doing the weight moving you are still taking an unnecessary step and adding an unnecessary risk of dropping the weight(s). Stay with the belt. It doesn’t have to be removed in the first place.

Gary D.

I looked at the standards I have copies of and can't see any requirement like that.

And Gary's post is very accurate, keep it simple so that the diver can deal with it when task loaded in zero viz.

And to add to it- keep it standard and the safety diver doesn't have to fumble around trying to figure out what type of system the diver in trouble is using.

Appreciate the posts. The teams are equipped the same way, but with intergrated systems. The way the BCD's sit makes a weight belt not fit properly since it will actually be over the lower part of the BCD harness. You would have to remove it in order to remove the BCD. I've tried this to see if a weight belt would work, and that is what I ran into.
Thanks,
George

We've run into that problem as well, most of us use a backplate/wing setup and it's difficult to use a standard weight belt.

We've decided on a weight harness as the best solution. DUI and DRI both have them available and we're currently working with Seatec (It's nice to have an equipment manufacturer in your county) to adapt theirs for our use.

TC:
We've run into that problem as well, most of us use a backplate/wing setup and it's difficult to use a standard weight belt.

We've decided on a weight harness as the best solution. DUI and DRI both have them available and we're currently working with Seatec (It's nice to have an equipment manufacturer in your county) to adapt theirs for our use.

The set up I'm recommending now is BP/W with a DUI harness (DUI is available locally) However even these would have to sit too low because of the way the Zeagle's are designed. When tested side by side, most of the guys choose the Zeagles. What can I say? :depressed:

I use a dui weight harness Being "more gut no butt" the traditional weight belt tends to slide down. If I am focused on dealing with that issue I am not focused on the job at hand. Several others on our team us the harness and the rest are using the weight belt.

Back
Top Bottom