Interested in Building a Home Continuous Blending System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikecotrone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at building a blending system over time and was going to begin with the compressor. I see alot of different compressor online and was wondering on some recommendations. I will plan on pumping Nitrox and eventually Trimix, but my volume of # of tanks per month (133 cuft) will probably only be like 15 - 20.

Thanks!

I have sold 12 -13 compressors that are being used for continuous blending of nitrox. The compressor size is 4.2 or 6.0 CFM for up to 4500PSI. Go to my web site <sheldensportinggoods.com>. Most of them are scubaboard members so they can tell you about my service and quality.
You can call me at 316-992-0505
Jim Shelden

Thanks Jim! I saw your other posts and already saw your kiddie compressors. They look very nice.

I do have a few questions as I am also learning through this process :) How many whips / tank fills can the 6.0 cfm do at once (without a cascade system)? Do you have any compressors at 5k or 6k PSI?

Thanks!

Mike,
You can put as many as you want on at a time. but it doesn't shorten the fill time. You still need to drain the moisture every 20 minutes. IT still take about 14 minutes to fill an 80 from empty to 3000.
However, if you consider most divers don't use the last 500 to 750 PSI in the tank: you could attach 2 tanks with a remaining volume of 140 CF and fill them in about 25 minutes. The 5000PSI issue is probably mute since I don't know of any scuba tanks that take that pressure. IF you build a storage system with 4500PSI cylinders - this compressor can handle it easily.
What else do you want to know?
Call me if you like.
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

I am also interested in electric motors either single or three phase works.

You said you're gonna install this at home... chances are you can't even get 3 phase electrical installed in your house. (unless you live in an industrial area).

Even if you could, you'd have to redo your electrical input for 3phase, which is not cheap to do.

if/when you see what 3 phase panels cost, you'll likely not like the idea as much.

a three phase motor is more efficient though. It's just not something that is easily done/afforded in the home.

There are ways to convert single phase to three phase if the need arises that are cheaper than having the utility change out your I'm stupid, not to mention most utilities will only give you an open delta (three phase derived from two transformers if you did not know) Thus giving you a high leg (208 volts to ground) so unless you have a good deal of three phase or 240 volt load is a waste of space and money. Look into a converter farms use them often.

Mike! I'll come fill my tanks :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom