Interested in Diving with a Purpose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cDisch

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey there, I'm new to this community so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Christian and I've been a chef in New Orleans for almost 8 years now. I love cooking but I've recently become burnt out on the lifestyle that it tends to bring with it. I recently traveled to Cabo Pulmo in Baja Mexico to work as a chef there at a tiny restaurant called Nancy's. While I only stayed in the area for about two months, I was able to get my Open Water certification at a nearby PADI Certified dive shop. I have always been interested in SCUBA but this finally provided me the opportunity I had been looking for, and needless to say, I became hooked.

I'm now back in New Orleans working two jobs with the intentions of saving up to afford an Instructor level Internship in a country other than the USA. I understand that instructors don't make a lot of money and that would not be my end goal, ultimately I would like to apply my skills as a diver to something more than just basic instruction. I just know that I need something in my life and I feel like diving is it. I'll be 30 in a couple of weeks and I always said I would spend my 20's as a chef and then move onto something else.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I've been doing some preliminary homework on internships, preferably including room & board, and I was curious if anyone on here has any experience with that. I met a friend while I was in Cabo Pulmo who helped paraplegics learn to dive and that seems like something I would lo love to make a goal of mine, however long it might take.

Cheers and thanks!

Welcome Christian. As a newly certified diver myself, I can tell you that it is well worth the investment (to get certified). Your question on making a living off of diving is a common one on this forum. My opinion is that most "seasoned" divers suggest you do not chase this as an occupation as it's hard to make a living - simply my opinion from what I've gathered. More answers will trickle in as others see your post.

I don't know if this would be a viable path, but have you considered finding a chef job on a liveaboard or at a dive resort? Maybe it would be a different way into the industry and you could find a situation where you could work something out training-wise. I've had some great food on dive trips from Cordon Bleu trained chefs or similar, who said they had tired of their more typical gigs and seemed to love the lifestyle - and food is something that can make or break a trip. Chefs tend to get the biggest applause at the end of a liveaboard trip.

(Possibly this is a dumb idea and someone will be along to say that... I don't know how much time either would leave to actually dive or train. Liveaboard crew put in crazy hours but often work for some number of weeks then are off for some weeks. I don't think I've ever seen the chef dive, but that might be because they usually just don't.)

Last edited:
Sounds like you have the drive and desire to learn to become good instructor.

Here's a grim perspective:

As everyone else says, it's a saturated market with low pay and a high turn over rate where 99.9% (made up percentage) of instructors need to work a second job to survive.

While making a lot of money isn't end goal it's worth considering if you're willing to most likely give up dive instructing burnt out in a few years (with experiences and memories) or stay work until you are old without being able to save money, buy a house or support a family.

Those selling you training will often gave a very utopian picture of the job prospects to encourage THEY don't starve.

I've found a way to combine my previous expertise (trauma therapist) with diving. This mix allows me to dive and help people the way I love. Perhaps something similar with your chief abilities. I've seen job postings in high end tiny boutique resorts where they were looking for a dive instructor/chef.

...all that said, some people (a very few) do live as dive instructors fulltime. It is possible and it can be you as well.

Regards,
Cameron

Back
Top Bottom