Interesting class to attend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not have failed my dry suit class with that instructor, he’d have just dragged me around like a hunting dog with a wounded duck.
This did not look like a class, but someone who can’t dive at all paying to be taken diving by one guy and also paying a second “guide” to film their cool activity.

Last edited:
From my perspective:

Who let a student mess around with a Go-Pro on a training dive:
Why was the Student with the camera, not with his buddy (the other student) instead of thinking "Look how good I am"
Where was the weight check? Geeze the bad diver is so over weighted it's un-real. Look how inflated that wing is and they're only at 65'!
Why is the "instructor" having to use his hands for positioning - If you can't position yourself in the water with fin kicks alone you shouldn't be teaching.

I feel sorry for the "bad diver" because they've been let down by their instructors. They just need 1 on 1 work with the basics before they progress to dives that have more task loading

that behavior would not have gotten them out of the pool in my basic class... like, never would have made it to open water in the first place, heaven forbid a deep class....

I think they should have bailed, debriefed and re tried at a later date after a lot of practise by the "bad diver". Would have been better without the fins and just walking across the bottom at times!

The instructor looks like he is barely in control at all.

Whoever that person is who hit the seabed at 8:20 like a missile hitting its target and the aftermath wake, and then when she does get down, walks and crawls along the sea floor like they’re a baby on land.....poor you....

If I was the instructor, she wouldn’t have made it into the ocean with that level of incompetency. They should seriously “try” snorkeling/freediving before diving to give her the basics of trim and getting comfortable in the water.

I can only imagine what the gear assembly before the dive was like.

I feel sorry for the instructor and for the student. They were bought wrong in different ways.

that behavior would not have gotten them out of the pool in my basic class...
That diver should not have gotten out of the pool in ANYONE'S OW class.

The requirements for confined water dives demand greater control of buoyancy and trim than is shown in this video. The diver is doing the dives for the Deep Diver specialty, which (assuming PADI) requires AOW before the course begins. Therefore the following happened before the first dive in this sequence:
  1. Some instructor passed her on the pool sessions, despite not meeting those standards.
  2. Some instructor (possibly the same one) passed her on her OW dives, despite not demonstrating required skills.
  3. Some instructor (possibly the same one) passed her on her AOW dives, despite not demonstrating required skills.
So we have a student who has been certified far beyond her skill level, according to standards. But more than that, we have a student who received very poor instruction prior to the video. No one should be able to get near the end of the pool sessions without looking better than that, and that all goes to instructor skill.

We only see a small portion of the actual dives, but at no time do we see either the student in the video or the (presumed) student taking the video do any of the required skills. In the first dive we see, neither the student nor the instructor ever leaves the line. The student is supposed to be demonstrating compass navigation skills on that dive (again assuming PADI). I don't think there is any chance that happened.

This video is being discussed in Facebook. This is the "Scuba Diving Accidents and the Lessons They Teach" group James Lapenta set up on Facebook.

This was diving in cold water (Seattle, Washington area I believe). The student doesn't seem to be able to handle the buoyancy shifts which happen with a thick neoprene suit (I usually dive 7mm full with a 7mm shorty when diving wet). According to the person who shot the video, the student had 8 dives after OW training then went on to Deep Diver Specialty.

I saw boulderjohn posting to the Facebook group. The whole thing is a comedy of errors. And as John noted here, it didn't start with the Deep Diver Specialty. This must have started back when the student first learned to dive.

I've had students show up for a refresher (now called a ReActivate) and within a few seconds in the pool I realize they shouldn't have the OW card. They tell me there are skills they barely passed and thought they'd never have to do again. One such student went on to have an instructor re-train the student and that student went on to be a fine scuba diver. So we have shops in my area who certify people without giving them the correct training.

In my area the visibility is poor, the water is cold and the gear is bulky. It is a lot harder than getting certified in clear, warm water with a 3mm wetsuit and reef gloves. Good shops recognize that having 8 students to 1 instructor does not work here. But some shops make more money if they pack 8 students to 1 instructor. Shops are rewarded for churning through as many students as possible without proper training. My question is, how do we stop this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom