• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

interesting comment from dive shop owner

Discussion in 'Diving Into New Gear' started by Michael Jastrzebski, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Michael Jastrzebski

Michael Jastrzebski Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi, this is my first post here.

I have been a recreational diver since 1990. Back then I purchased a US Divers Conshelf 21 regulator. Believe it or not - I logged about 400 dives and although the regulator was periodically checked (for free) I never had it overhauled, no parts were ever replaced. The dive shop where I bought it is still in business and they told me they could overhaul it for around $40 and would be as good as new! The owner of the dive shop is a friendly guy and when I told him I wanted to get a more modern regulator (I have Apeks XL4+ in mind for its portability, easy to travel with plus I like its look!) he said my overhauled Conshelf would still breathe better - pinned down he suggested that the size of the diaphragm in the second stage is the reason it will breathe better. Any comments? I have a trip to Truk lagoon coming and I was thinking to get more modern regulator.

markmud likes this.
  2. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Buy it! And bring both? Or use the conshelf as your Octo?

Truk! You lucky $&#*@

AfterDark likes this.
  3. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Unless you really, really, really want a new regulator - just because - (and there's nothing wrong with that), your overhauled Conshelf 21 will be just fine. I still use my conshelf XII from about 1976 all the time. (Of course I use my 1956 Voit VR-1 and my 1958 US Divers Mistral all the time too, so maybe I'm not the guy you should be listening to. :)

4. drk5036

drk5036 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    It seems like you want to spend money on scuba gear, it's burning a hole in your pocket :) Any specific reason why you want a new regulator? They serve one purpose, and it's hard for one to be truly better or worse, as long as it's working well. My suggestion: service the regulator, and spend that money on something else that you can take with you to Truk to try out! How about a Shearwater dive computer instead? :wink:

markmud, BenjaminF and FreeFlyFreak like this.
  5. fmerkel

fmerkel Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I overhauled an older Conshelf I got for $75. Sold it to a newly minted instructor. He took it on a pool session, and also let another instructor use it. The were amazed, breathed better than their $$$ top end regs. Lots of people here use old regs. Properly set up they can not only work fine but in some ways be superior.

АлександрД likes this.
  6. KarolinaKid

KarolinaKid Nassau Grouper

^^^ What he said. Very sound advice.

7. FreeFlyFreak

FreeFlyFreak Solo Diver

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Sounds like you have a fantastic LDS owner.
    Not many would talk you out of a sale.
    Stick with them, get your reg serviced by them, and buy something else for your trip instead.

ScubaWithTurk, markmud, RyanT and 7 others like this.
  8. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

I've had that experience with two separate dive shop owners though one of them did start to break down and show me sets but that was as the business was getting ready to close down.

In the end, I've stuck with my old Maximus and will probably dive it until I no longer dive or win a little lottery.

9. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb HARRO HUNNAYYY

Agreed. A rare LDS and owner. I appreciate his honesty instead of making an easy sale.

10. Michael Jastrzebski

Michael Jastrzebski Nassau Grouper

I admit - it is clever idea but this apparently wouldn't work - Apeks' first stage is over-balanced, would not be compatible with my Conshelf's 2-nd stage.

You are on the right track - I am very seriously considering this one!! But why "instead", the stock market has been good to me I can easily afford both :wink:

Guys, thanks for your input but no one addressed the crux of the matter - is there any truth in his statement that the diameter of the second stage has any impact on the "ease" of breathing?

markmud and AfterDark like this.