Internal Flash and PT Housing for Olympus Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conchnclyde

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a bit of a trivial question, however I would rather be safe than sorry.

I am breaking in my PT-015 housing for the first time next week and upon pulling the camera out of the package noticed that there is a covering (exterior) over the area where the internal flash exist. Since I will be using the internal flash (dont have strobe at this time), does this piece need to be removed or is it suppose to remain during use.

I have searched for answers but nothing addresses this issue, could someone with an Olympus 5050/PT-015 Housing inform me of the correct way to handle this item.

Thanks,

Clyde:confused:

If you are talking about the opaque covering over the flash (I have one on my PT-010), then I believe you are referring to the flash diffuser. It is there (it is my understanding anyway) to diffuse the internal flash a little so that you don't get hotspots in your pictures. You probably shouldn't remove it.

Dave

I assume you are referring to the opaque cover on the flash diffuser. This remains on to "distribute" the flash.

You will only be able to shoot pictures about 2-3 from the camera with the internal flash depending on the clarity of the water

There are a ton of articles on the c5050z and pt015 on http://www.digitaldiver.net/. I would review these so you get an idea of the settings and use of the camera underwater

I believe that there was a recent post, there, about the c5050z, pt015 and using the internal flash- which settings to use, camera/subject distance etc

I have this unit, plus an external strobe, and I'm still fine tuning after 6 months

Good Luck

Leave the diffuser on. If you're using the camera's flash to take pictures the diffuser will help reduce 'backscatter' (those pesky particles in the water that get lit by your flash) and also 'soften' the light so your pictures don't look so harsh. When taking pics with the just the camera's flash your best results will be achieved when you get as close as possible and reduce the water column (and hence the particles).

Thanks everyone!

I have visited and downloaded settings suggestions, as well as reading some good books right now, on top of that practicing with the camera/functions above water. Im sure this will make some difference in my shots, but I am going to just have fun with it and see what happens. Hopefully I can post the pics and then get some critical advice for improvement. It seems that most take their u/w photography pretty serious here, but mine will be for fun until I have a degree of understanding of the u/w environment and my camera. When I started getting interested in the u/w photo, I did not realize that there was so much involved, as I only saw the tip of the iceberg, and I haven't even been wet behind the ears yet (with a camera in hand).

Cheerio,

Clyde=-)

The tip of the iceberg is absolutely right. You're going to have lots of fun with your new setup. That's the most important thing.

If you want to take a look at what the C-5050/PT-015 can do without any external strobe, take a look at my gallery (click the link in my signature line).

Best of luck....and don't forget to share your results!

Great Photos.

I've had a moderate degree of success with my 5050z -except for fire works.

What settings did you use and did you use a tripod?

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
If you want to take a look at what the C-5050/PT-015 can do without any external strobe, take a look at my gallery (click the link in my signature line).

Also curious about your settings. What are you using for macro? It's nice to have a blue-water background, but a few shots could use more depth-of-field.

5050 setup: http://www.splashdowndivers.com/photo_gallery/underwater_photography/index.html

5050 strobe choice: http://home.swbell.net/stusa/olystrobearms/strobespg.htm

RESCUEDIVER:
Yes...I used a tripod. Almost a must for fireworks. I actually used manual focus a few steps back from infinity, set the f-stop to something around 8, and set a 16 second exposure. The exposure is where the cool part came in. I used the little remote to block the lens and create numerous exposures during the 16 seconds....sometimes too many exposures. My shots probably would have turned out better had I only 2 or 3 exposures per shot max.

tie:
You are probably right on a better background for those macros. That was my first try in saltwater with the camera, and I really had no idea what it could do beyond program mode. I did use the macro setting, but no macro lens. I found out real quick how hard it was to take macros without an underwater tripod. Let me know if you find one of those. :D I plan on going back to Looe Key sometime and giving it another shot...or two. The water was so nice and so shallow, you really didn't need a strobe for the closer stuff.

Your photos are excellent. BTW, I have dove with Splashdown in the past...an excellent dive op.

Back
Top Bottom