International travel: Carry-on vs. Check-in baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AA3JY

Contributor
Reaction score
Heading to Mexico in a couple of weeks. Just wondering would it be advisable to carry-on items like regs, lights and computers then putting these more expensive and sensitive items in check-in baggage?

Yes, don't forget your mask.

Don't forget there are also shipping services....like UPS...and you can have the gear delivered to your hotel ( requires speaking with the hotel about this ahead of time).
When the amount of camera gear is excessive for all the nonsense that goes on at airports, this works.

Yes very much so. I put regs masks computer etc in my carry on.

It would be very disappointing to lose or have your most important items delayed.

Heh last year when transferring through Rome to Malta security was unsure of the regs for a minute, was pretty funny esp with the language gap.

Yes, but for another reason besides the cost. All gear should be insured against loss anyway. But heavy items that are not sharp go into carry on. That reduces the weight of checked baggage in case that's an issue. So anything heavy or expensive or irreplaceable goes into carry on. Along with a bathing suit and t-shirt. Everything else is expendable.

Thanks for the input. What about Z-knives?

We carry on regs, masks and camera. Lights no as we can rent these if checked luggage disappears. As said, throw in a pair of shorts + tshirt and maybe swimsuit in carry on. I can't tell you how many times I see people in jeans at the hotel their first day or two due to their luggage not showing up. Or they have to spend alot at hotel gift shops or stores for same. Out of Denver and sometimes via Dallas, we don't have any issues with regs and equipment in security especially going to Cozumel. They see them all the time.

Yes -- regs., computer, mask, camera. Extra clothes - underwear, bathing suit, shorts. Also important to carry any regular meds you take in your carry-on. You can have a carry-on and a "personal item" (can be a regular sized backpack) on most flights.

Not your knife or cutting tool.

If you have any batteries put them in checked luggage. They won't let you in the cabin with them when leaving Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom