Internship Rainbow Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemikedive

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently OW certified and I have decieded that I need a change in my life. So I'm looking at becoming a diving professional an Instructor. I have been looking at the six month internship at Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Islamorada, FL. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this program or any sugestion on internships or paying for the classes to become an Instructor. Thank in advance for the help!!!

I can't help with the location or the dive centre however I did an internship in Thailand and I absolutely loved it! I've never looked back!

Hopefully others can fill you in on the dive shop - I notice there's some other threads about Rainbow Reef divers (I haven't read them) so maybe they can help? Whatever happens - it's a big decision to change your life like that and I wish you the absolute best of luck in doing so!

Cheers

C.

I've dove with them on two separate occasions. Like most dive operations they have their rough edges. But the owner seemed to sincerely have his people's welfare at heart.

In one discussion he let me know he thought the Intern Program was a good deal for everyone. He gets labor and the person gets experience and training they can use in their careers. He seemed to be a sincere, caring guy.

Disclaimer: I was a customer who was having a friendly discussion; one of those "intimate moments". I was not in the program so I don't know what the Interns viewpoint was. They seemed to be happy and professional. So, my impression was that the program was working for them.

Why don't you do something really challenging. Learn a new language and get your instructor cert.

I think there is a zero to hero program in Venezuela that will also teach you Spanish along the way. Not to say it is a good program, but the best wey to learn a new language is to be immersed in it.

From what I understand, it is nice to know more than English if you worked in a busy tropical resort.

Hi Mike,

Congrats on getting your OW and making the decision to Go Pro! A life as a scuba diving instructor can be a lifelong adventure. I often say an instructor's cert is a passport to live and work in some of the world's most beautiful locales, places others would love to go but can't because they'd have no way to support themselves.

But rather than look so close to home, why not start your journey with a real adventure? Why not come to exotic Thailand and spend 4 months diving every day while training to be an instructor?

No, we aren't "free" like the folks in Florida, but as we all know, nothing in life is truly "free" in this world. In fact, based on what I read on their website, their "free" AOW to OWSI program costs $4,000 including accommodations, and that's only for 23 days.

Aquanauts, on the other hand, is less than $8,000 for FOUR MONTHS and offers many more courses and much more diving so that by the end of those 4 months you have lots of dives and experience before becoming an instructor.

We beleive if people are truly serious about a career -- be it in diving, computers or hotel management -- they are willing to pay for it. Diving is not child's play, especially when you have someone else in your care. You want quality training with no gimmicks.

What we've done here at Aquanauts is try to make it easy to get to the pro level by packaging everything up into one all-inclusive program and take advantage of the tremendously lower cost-of-living in Thailand.

We proivde all your courses, books, PADI fees, accommodations, a full set of Scubapro gear, plus UNLIMITED FUN DIVING for 4 months. You get to live in a tropical beach resort where it's never colder than 80 degrees, where the water is 86 and you do it while living and diving with a group of like-minded people from all over the planet.

The link to our internship program is in the footer below and I hope you'll take a look beyond the borders of the US of A for your dive training needs.

Hi.... I don't know much about the internship program, but I have dived in past with Rainbow Reef and they are pretty cool, infact I am diving with them this week as well. If you are around I would see you there Mike.

I, too, have strided off the back of Rainbow Reef boats and can tell you that I have only had great experiences with them. I did talk with a couple of their interns and they seemed happy with the program.

Mountain Dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom