Intova IC12 question-red lens and flash diffuser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prosdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Intova folks,

I bought an Intova IC12 earlier this year, used it in Cozumel and Grand Cayman with mixed results. Once I got the white balance worked out, the pictures came out great. But, based upon your recommendation, I got the red lens filter so I wouldn't have to manually do the white balance all the time. As a beginner diver, I need to concentrate more on the diving part and less on the photography part so the red lens seemed like a good idea. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I've got a trip to Mexico next month so I'll see how it works out.

I'm thinking about buying the flash diffuser prior to my trip. Does it work OK with the red filter?

Another question, does the new IC14 offer any significant advantages over the IC12 for point and shoot? As I said, I need a camera where everything is automatic until I've developed my diving skills.

Thanks.

The red filter works great. I have been using it on my GoPro for videos. Keep in mind that you do not want to use it inwater less than about 25 feet, (especially in clear water and bright sunlight) or everything will appear orange. You also don't need a filter if you are using a flash. The diffuser is great for night dives as it eliminates hot spots on the picture. I can show you pictures with and without the filter if I do some digging around.

Hi Prosdog,

Thanks for the feedback and you raise a few points.

First, understand that there is no easy point and shoot method to get great underwater photos. The underwater photography world is complex and constantly variable so preset underwater modes etc will not give you this result.

Red filters are used below 20-25 feet to add color back into the photos. Flash will have the same effect so if you use at same time as a red filter you will probably get too much of the warm colors.

A flash diffuser helps reduce backscatter and fill in of the area of image blocked by lens barrel on housing. Definitely a plus if you plan to use onboard flash.

IC 14 has a higher mega pixel count, larger screen and 5X zoom. It will not change the water conditions around you however, so the same challenges will still exist.

Best Regards,
Joe Ganahl

Back
Top Bottom