intrinsic problem with pan-view style masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitroxic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Masks with faceted lenses designed to allow a larger degree of visibility all seem to have an intrinsic problem. I was wondering what the manufactures take on it was:

The angle of the peripheral lens to the primary lenses is designed to create a nearly invisible seam between the two lenses. For example if you have the mask on, you look far to your left, you'll look first through the front lens, then through the side lens and hardly notice the seam. This works fantastic, however only out of the water. Once you take the mask underwater, because light travels at a different speed through water than air, the refractive properties of the mask changes so that the transition from the main piece of lens glass to the side glass is no longer seamless. There is a jump or break in objects, similar to a drinking straw in a glass of water.

Couldn't the mask be designed so that the angle of the side lenses to the main lens is corrected to the refractive properties of water to air rather than air to air?

Is this done intentionally to sell masks, since most people will try them on in a shop, and buy them based on a dry fit and not take them underwater?

I hope this makes sense.

I'm willing to sell the idea if anyone is interested. Free gear for life might do it. :D

Last edited:
It took me some time to comprehende your post,but than I realized that I have such a mask.:D
What you see as a problem,the glass on glass connection,is actualy(imo)a pro on the mask.Due to the angle both lenzes are cut,the connection between the two,works like a prizm (underwater)and gives you a kind of rearview mirror.So you can see your bubby,or like me see a student,staying a little behind me.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

btw,I deleted the other post,SB does not allow double postings.:)

Thanks,

So it's more of a preference issue then. I find it very annoying to the point I don't use that mask anymore. I would prefer the transition to be seamless while underwater. The refraction is a distraction, I pick up strange movement and colors in my peripheral vision.

Sorry about the double post. Since I didn't get any responses I thought I may have posted it in the wrong place.

I have a similar mask, a 3 window version with a 1 piece front. I find it works great for keeping track of a buddy but at such a wide angle the distortion is of no concern.

As for devising a corrective angle for the side lites a weird mask shape would probably result.

Pete

I should ask a physicist buddy of mine work out the math on it to figure out what the angle would need to be. My be an ineresting problem to address.

Back
Top Bottom