''Intro to Tech'' course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think is very good that tdi is coming out whit class. it will be a big help.

What I want to know is why TDI now says that this course is available, when GUE came out with the DIRF course and made it a prerequisite for further training. Senior TDI instructors stated publicly that it was nothing more then a cash grab, and not needed.

So why is this course now suddenly available?
Why are not the TDI instructors taught to teach this course?, other then to apply to teach it like PADI does.
So who is doing the cash grab now.

Why are not the TDI instructors taught to teach this course?, other then to apply to teach it like PADI does.

You don't have to apply to teach it. Any current Adv Nitrox/Deco (or higher) instructor can teach this. There is no training because the skills in the intro course are a subset of the skills taught in the Adv Nitrox/Deco courses.

I don't view this course as a cash grab on the part of TDI. Many good TDI instructors were/are running their courses in a similar fashion as GUE's courses. This just formalizes it, just like GUE did. However, it is not a pre-req to take Adv Nitrox/Deco like GUE-F.

What I want to know is why TDI now says that this course is available, when GUE came out with the DIRF course and made it a prerequisite for further training. Senior TDI instructors stated publicly that it was nothing more then a cash grab, and not needed.

So why is this course now suddenly available?
So who is doing the cash grab now.
Dude, your tone sounds a bit accusatory.

The course is being offered because there is a perceived need for a course such as this one. There are not very many divers out there (at least in the US) routinely doing deep, "technical" trimix dives - relative to the total number of people diving in the US. But there are many more divers routinely doing deeper, more complex recreational diving.

This course helps to put out some important information, and helps orient divers to the next step down the path.

It is true that "the Market" determines what will be bought and sold. But ultimately whether a course (or any other product) will be successful or not depends on the needs of consumers.

GUE originally had no plans for Fundamentals beyond the fact that most of the Tech 1 and Cave 1 students were failing the courses because they were utterly inept at the most basic requirements. Fundamentals was designed to fulfill a need - basically, it was a no certificate weekend seminar to show people what they needed to be able to do when they showed up to take a GUE course.

It would appear, based on the significant numbers of people looking to take GUE Fundies courses, that there was a much wider-spread perceived need for such a course among a wider variety of divers than GUE ever imagined.

TDI is trying to market a similar course (which differs from Fundamentals in several important ways) to a similar group of consumers....they are trying to address a perceived 'need' in the market. Only time will tell if and how the target group of consumers will respond - but if the threads on this board are any indication, there is significant curiosity regarding "the next step" in diving skills enhancement between what is clearly "recreational" training and what is decidedly hypoxic trimix training.

I think the course may actually do well once it's availability is more widely recognized.

FWIW.

YMMV.

I think he is referring to the manor in which he teaches the TDI intro course....

Honestly, I'm confused... looking at the instructor database here, I don't see that Steve is qualified to teach TDI intro to Tech... so it is not the manner in which he teaches our course... so it must be GUE since he's calling it DIR-f... I have to call down to Florida on Monday, so I'll check because the GUE website does not have him listed.

...But TDI doesn't specify equipment configuration and anything but it is prep courses for tech. TDI instructors wrote the course in 2000 or 2001 but none of the courses are the same between TDI instructors and they can still teach the course anyway they can while GUE and Naui do it black and white?

Good TDI for coming out with it but I think too late your not going to catch up with the others.

Julio: at TDI we steer away from being specific with equipment configuration for a couple of reasons. One is that as a global agency, we feel a bit odd dictating to an instructor in the Philippines that she has to use a specific reg or liftbag or reel when it may not be available. And that leads to the second reason which is the most compelling. A lot of folks think we do not have hard and fast standards. This is a load of bull. For the past 14 years, our insurance has been the best and most affordable available to instructors and many professionals teaching courses for other agencies purchased their coverage through our program. One major reason for our coverage being so affordable is the comprehensive nature of our course standards. As an example, our course standards dictate a long hose rather than a seven-foot hose... to some, this comes across as lax and too sloppy. In fact, if we dictated a seven-foot hose and a course was run with students using a six-foot eleven foot hose, the course would have been conducted outside standards as far as our insurance brokers were concerned. Our policy would be in jeopardy. I know this sounds odd to you and me but that's the case.

Also, judging by the number of certs we have been processing since the launch of this program, it does not appear we are too late to catch up with "the others," but we'll see. I look forward to year-end comparisons or global figures!

IMO this is a very good step for TDI. As I have been looking at various agencies in anticipation of beginning technical training, I noticed this gap in TDI's program compared to GUE and NAUI. I never looked at IANTD in much detail, but I suspect they also have a similar intro course. I applaud TDI for taking this step and I look forward to taking this course as preparation for moving onto Adv. Nitrox and Deco. Procedures.

Honestly, I'm confused... looking at the instructor database here, I don't see that Steve is qualified to teach TDI intro to Tech... so it is not the manner in which he teaches our course... so it must be GUE since he's calling it DIR-f... I have to call down to Florida on Monday, so I'll check because the GUE website does not have him listed.

It's the same course as babyduck quotes below with Bobby, which is the same class i referenced in my prior post - using Bobby by name, myself.

the 'official' name went through a change or two even as the ink was drying.

I couldn't care less what name you want to use or under which banner (SDI/TDI), it's the same course the way I run it anyway. I don't mix words.

Dan even used the moniker 'poor man's dir-f', and I got what course he meant. It shouldn't be a stretch for you, at least no more than your nonsensical prior post of 'know it's not true before you post it' approach you guys are using lately.

Always happy to bring you up to speed, and I appreciate you guys saving me some money............what I get for free watching you blokes at HQ I'd have to pay quite heavily for at the circus.

just like anything else, it's the instructor, but i can firmly recommend bobby franklin's intro to tech. except that i was wet in the frickin' quarry in march, it was a great class.

Steve R.......... just what technical course/s are you certified to teach and by which agency are your students issued certs, I am confused looking at your company web site--it does not seem to talk any about this...or are your course offerings all recreational level, thanks. ?? :)

You don't have to apply to teach it. Any current Adv Nitrox/Deco (or higher) instructor can teach this. There is no training because the skills in the intro course are a subset of the skills taught in the Adv Nitrox/Deco courses.

I don't view this course as a cash grab on the part of TDI. Many good TDI instructors were/are running their courses in a similar fashion as GUE's courses. This just formalizes it, just like GUE did. However, it is not a pre-req to take Adv Nitrox/Deco like GUE-F.

The so called forerunner of this course

Not sure this is the correct place for this...

If there is sufficient interest, I can running an SDI Solo Diver specialty course on Saturday, August 27, (course is usually a two-day affair so this will be a very busy day). For detail -- such as equipment requirements, schedule and course outline -- please contact me.

Course is actually designed to teach self-reliance, self-rescue and basic skills that I believe are essential pre-requisites for team-oriented diving. Successful completion of this course will be a prerequisite for participation in my technical programs in 2006, which will give you some idea of the value I feel this course has.

Cost of course is $250. Prerequisties include 100 logged dives and certification as Advanced Diver from SDI or other recognised training agency.

Note that this course is an SDI program and as such is open -- and encouraged -- for recreational-level divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom