''Intro to Tech'' course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing I don't see is the formalization....Where is it?

If all instructors who teach deco can teach this course what is it they teach exactly?

And why do the TDI's of the world not have enough sense to name the course different then the Naui course of intro to tech?

Agaig I m asking what skills are taught and how this course is needed?

We know why dir-f is here but why is tdi finally bringing out this course and what is it's objective? How is it different than solo diver I guess as the other diver posted above me?

I think is great tdi has this course too but how are they teaching it?

Doesn't an instructor have to take a training course or do they get a give me cert like padi?

If you have instructors in the company who don't like certain skills or think they are not important like back finn or turns with fins or modify flutter or other skills we learn in more advance courses and rely on especially on a S-drill at the beginning of all dives is only the student who loses and has been the experience of many divers from many agencies who dive at the tech level.

They ended up with cards without the skills until an instructor told them they need to learn more an they get mad with the instructor of old.

GUE and Naui is ahead in steadying the book of skills. That's all I say.

Until gear configuration and skills are standard it's not the same course compared.

julio.... never haven taken the TDI Intro program, I am just speculating that there are minimum standards which TDI has set in order for the student to strive for and be evaluated to complete the class.
I know of no agency that has exactly the same set of standards or skills in their specific course as compared to another agencies similar class.
I hear so much on internet boards about how GUE is the standard that all other tech agencies should be striving for....I don't see it that way myself persl.....TDI's technical programs are comparatively some of the best!
I only know of a hand full of divers in our area that have even attended and or completed a GUE class....and their skills are not any better then other divers of similar experience.

Touche Tek dive guy. There are many who are as good or better than gue or naui but fundamental skills do become different from groups and they don't always work on the same things.

I's very happy tdi does this course but just think without standards that are the same there is differences and without the same skills and course outlines, is not the same course as already out there.

GUE has standards in their website: gue.com as does the naui tec course if you email there instructors. I am not sad tdi comes up with the course but I don't see it as the same is all.

TDI have great instructors so do Iantd, Naui, GUE an I am sure andi, ssi an other people have the same good instructors but the don't always teach the same course just like padi.

Touche Tek dive guy. There are many who are as good or better than gue or naui but fundamental skills do become different from groups and they don't always work on the same things.

I's very happy tdi does this course but just think without standards that are the same there is differences and without the same skills and course outlines, is not the same course as already out there.

GUE has standards in their website: gue.com as does the naui tec course if you email there instructors. I am not sad tdi comes up with the course but I don't see it as the same is all.

TDI have great instructors so do Iantd, Naui, GUE an I am sure andi, ssi an other people have the same good instructors but the don't always teach the same course just like padi.

Not touchy at all....simply replying my thoughts to your post. :wink:

Of course not all the agencies offer the same standards exactly.....I understand that you are saying that PADI teaches a strict no change set of standards....so if you take an O/W class in Maine or one in Oklahoma they will be 98% the same....in technical instruction certain standards are set for the instructor to follow...but alloweces are also part of the instructional process so the indv. instructor can better tailor his/her teaching to the setting they are in...not all being equal.

Is this TDI Intro program something you are looking at taking as a course,,,just curious...can't tell by looking at your SB bio. information?

:)

Ok I'm not an expert so take this for what it is. I am a TDI instructor and am very glad they have started offering this course. I have read over the standards and procedures and for some of you, pay attention I have also taken and passed the GUE fundies. The TDI course is layed out very similar for skills required and equipment needed, except having to use a canister light and 32%. Students can use nitrox if certified already, unlike GUE the fundies certifies you for nitrox. This is not a technical course, I believe it is to show people what skills will be required for techncial diving.
Dave
Diving in Victoria - Beyond Deep Diving - Victoria BC, Vancouver Island

Ok I'm not an expert so take this for what it is. I am a TDI instructor and am very glad they have started offering this course. I have read over the standards and procedures and for some of you, pay attention I have also taken and passed the GUE fundies. The TDI course is layed out very similar for skills required and equipment needed, except having to use a canister light and 32%. Students can use nitrox if certified already, unlike GUE the fundies certifies you for nitrox. This is not a technical course, I believe it is to show people what skills will be required for techncial diving.
Dave

Dave....have you had any interest from divers regarding this new program, and would it be a course you would offer your customers? :wink:

I am going to be offering this course. The interest is there, we just need to get the word out. I have just got to get everthing prepared for it. I want to make sure, for my course anyone who passes it could also pass GUE fundies. I believe that TDI is an excellent agency, that is why I picked this path.
Cheers
Dave

I am going to be offering this course. The interest is there, we just need to get the word out. I have just got to get everthing prepared for it. I want to make sure, for my course anyone who passes it could also pass GUE fundies. I believe that TDI is an excellent agency, that is why I picked this path.
Cheers
Dave

That is good you will make it available to folks....seems like this kind of program is in need. My basic nitrox was through PADI, but I have completed 5 TDI technical programs and found them all pretty well in depth and structured for learning.

As a PADI OWSI and a frequent diver in the 100-130 foot range with no techincal experience, I think this course is a fantastic idea. As an experienced diver (500-600 OW pleasure dives) I'm beginning to get into the technical side of things and an intro course seems like a good idea.

A recreational diver would have no reason to be in a full technical rig and this gives a recreational diver an oppurtunity to fine tune their skills before learning new ones. Buoyancy in doubles the first time through is something that should be done with good supervision, and I don't see why paying an instructor to teach you the correct way to do things is such an issue for some on these boards...

Even as a dive professional, I have no problem paying someone to teach me how to dive a full tech rig the right way. It IS different than what I'm used to, and should be treated as such. Then, when I have to focus on decompression techniques, I can really focus on them, not my new technical rig.

Just my $.02

Back
Top Bottom