Introduction to Technical Diving - Laguna Sea Sports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JS1scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Introduction to Technical Diving

April 27 & 28 2007 and April 28 & 29
This Workshop introduces divers to the interesting aspects of Technical Diving and provides an opportunity to ask questions and to try out technical diving equipment in a pool and in an open water environment. Join technical diving experts Joel Silverstein and Capt. Gordon Boivin for an exciting and informative weekend program.

During this workshop we will discuss:

• Technical Diving Overview
  • Foundation skills.
  • Gas Sharing Exercises
  • Equipment and Setup
  • Buoyancy and Trim
  • Propulsion Techniques
  • Team Diving & Communications
  • Dive Planning & Procedures
  • Breathing Gas
  • Physics and Physiology
  • Decompression Planning

The workshop will start in the Evening at 7PM and runs for three hours with and after class round-table discussion. The Next morning (8:00 am) we will conduct an equipment workshop where divers can rig their own equipment under expert supervision and / or get fitted for equipment sets that we will provide for use. From there we will conduct a pool session for weighting and basic skills. After the pool session we will conduct two beach dives at Shaw's Cove. Divers can use single tanks or twin tanks and still be exposed to the skills an techniques applied to technical diving.

Pre-Requisites: CERTIFIED DIVER with at least 25 logged dives. Ideally 5 with nitrox. Each will be required to sign a release and will need to produce a C-card and log book as proof of experience.

We will have eight complete sets of doubles with wing, back plates and high performance regulators for use. Plus we will have a full selection of custom hoses that can be used to set up your single tank set ups should you like.

Classroom session = unlimited participants
Water Sessions = up to 8 divers

Cost:
Classroom and Water Sessions $175 per participant
Certification: TDL Intro to Technical Diving
(credits two dives towards Advanced Nitrox with TDL)

Laguna Sea Sports - 925 N Coast Highway - Laguna Beach CA

What to Bring:
Mask, Fins, Exposure Suit, Weight Belt, Certification Card, Log Book and a great attitude! (You are welcome to bring your equipment for adjustment or evaluation.)

We hope you can join us.

Regards,

Joel, thank you for offering this. What are your plans for future So Cal training events? Know my brother that there is always a place for you lay your head in my home.

Just need to pick up my kids' toys off the floor first,

Tevis

That's great Joel! Orange County has been in need of good Technical Instructors and Classes to be held down there ever since John Walker "retired" from teaching years ago. Jeff Bozanic is good, but he teaches and supervises Open Circuit Tech Classes while using his CCR Unit --a practice that I have serious reservations about. . .

Archangel:
Joel, thank you for offering this. What are your plans for future So Cal training events? Know my brother that there is always a place for you lay your head in my home.

Just need to pick up my kids' toys off the floor first,

Tevis

Yes -- there will be a series of courses running April, May, and June and then Aug and September ......

Kevrumbo:
That's great Joel! Orange County has been in need of good Technical Instructors and Classes to be held down there ever since John Walker "retired" from teaching years ago. Jeff Bozanic is good, but he teaches and supervises Open Circuit Tech Classes while using his CCR Unit --a practice that I have serious reservations about. . .

That's one of the reasons I am setting up some training out there. We have had a LOT of inquries to fill a visible need. As to Jeff, he is outstanding instructor. He could teach in a snorkel and you would learn more in one dive with him than you would in a dozen dives with someone else. (Excpet me!).

Cheers

Joel, was diving on "our" boat (SCUBA Luv's King Neptune) today and had one of your former students (Eric from Arizona) talk a bit about diving with you (his first dive on the Andrea Doria). Interesting to me, but about 30' deeper than my current limit!

This course you and Gordon are setting up sounds great!

damn Joel set up a big socal event and dont even invite your pals in sd! Ill be there and will bring some of the crew with me.

*** Mod Post ***
I'd like to remind you all about the special rules that apply to the marketplace forums on ScubaBoard. The following paragraph is found in the TOS under the heading "Advertising (Private and Commercial Offers)".

TOS:
The Market Place forum is not a place to criticize, comment on or in other way speak to the reliability or history of another user’s advertisement. Messages commenting on the quality or value of a deal negatively are expressly forbidden as are messages that “flame”, “troll” or otherwise negatively attack a company for their business practices.

Based on that paragraph, I have deleted some of the posts from this thread which have to do with prerequisites and agency standards. Feel free to post those comments and have that discussion in the Main SoCal forum where it does not violate this special marketplace rule.

Thank you for your understanding.

Christian
*** Mod Post ***

Hey Joel

Can I go? Can I? Can I?

I'm bouncing off the walls right now.

Also, the Sound is only at 45F right now, go figure.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom