Invasion 2012 Travel and Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was browsing the 2011 invastion thread and ran across this post from DandyDon. Good advice, so I'm going to repost it for this year.

Original thread is here.http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...1/361683-invade-cozumel-6-12-6-19-11-faq.html

Nope scuba gear does not fly free in the US, and you may want to confirm that travel agent promise with the airline.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Mdgns....but I am interested. Being new to diving, it goes without saying that I am new to dive travel. How does that work?? I am guessing we are on our own for flights?? and airport transfers?? How about gear rentals?? With baggage fees anymore, I'd rather not check scuba gear. Please forgive my ignorance. The rates seem like a terrific deal. My wife would love to sit on the beach, do some shopping, and perhaps some snorkeling. I am a BRAND NEW PADI OW Diver, so any insight is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, you book your own flights, and you do pay extra for flying scuba gear but it's worth it to me to dive my gear. You'll probly get one bag checked free, pay $30 each way for the second bag, and be allowed a free 40# roll-on plus personal backpack - depending on which airline you use. The dive op probly has gear for rent and you might get those rates from the travel agent for this package; I dunno as I would not consider it.

Now ground transfers is a red flag for Cozumel! After clearing Immigration, you gather your bags, clear Customs, and then are met by a horde of lying time share salesmen who will ask you where you are going and try to get you into their offices there, waste your time, and set you up with a tour of an overpriced membership in the worst real estate investment possible. Just say "no thanks" and barge thru; if you have to do it twice, growl!
mad.gif

Turn right, look for the van ticket sales off to the left, buy the tickets for maybe $7US each, then go outside ask the guys there for the Hotel Cozumel van. You'll be directed to yours where your bags may be on the bottom six deep (breakable items are in your backpack right?) and when the van is totally crammed packed - then you leave. The van may stop along the way to drop others off at other locations so make sure your bag doesn't leave the van prematurely; I get out and watch at every stop, but then I'm a real cynic. You'll be at your hotel soon enough.

Taxis cannot pick up at the terminal. You will see some with little luggage hiking across the parking lot to where they can pickup, but that's too far for me to carry my stuff.

A rental car for this package would be a waste I think, but if you wanted one, get full insurance - don't trust your credit card coverage. There is more to that story but I won't go on here as I doubt anyone will want a car for the week. If you want one for a day or so, Isis is a local renter very popular with the Coz regular. There is a cheap one at the Barracuda hotel I would never rent from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom