Invertebrate ID.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mollyf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey, I was hoping someone could help me identify an invertebrate. Unfortunately I did not have a camera but will do my best to explain. There were 18 what appeared to be individual animals clustered together on a Sandy bottom, 10m deep in the Nicaraguan Caribbean sea. Each animal was 2inches long and about ½ inch wide. They varied from a light grey to browny green and had noticable lateral ridges/notches down the body like a sea cucumber. They appeared to be stationary and anchored into the sand by some kind of appendage. They reminded me of community caterpillars. I think they could be grub sea cucumbers (Pseudothyone belli) and maybe in their doliolaria stage. I can't find much information about them though. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

From the description they could be almost anything. They may be a tunicate. I would do an image search search of local invertebrates and just scroll around until you find something similar and refine the search more...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom