IP measurement for Pony/Stage Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody,
I'm about to set up my first pony/stage regulator (a Scubapro Mk11 if it matters) and since I like to check every now and then the IP pressure of my regs I was wondering how do you people do that?
The obvious but least convenient way is this: every time I want to measure it, remove the plug from a IP port, attach a BCD inflator hose to it, measure IP, remove hose and replace the plug.
Is there anything more convenient than this?
I do have a spare inflator hose and I was thinking to leave it permanently on the reg. Yes it is a extra point of failure, but isn't removing/attaching hoses also "dangerous"?
What do you think?
Any other options?
Thanks

Why go to all this extra work? A better solution is to maintain the regulator. Rinse it thoroughly after a day of diving. Keep it out of the muck when diving. Practice using the rig while diving; don't be the diver that brings it along for decor thinking it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. And, service it according to the manufacturers recommendations.

Hello everybody,
I'm about to set up my first pony/stage regulator (a Scubapro Mk11 if it matters) and since I like to check every now and then the IP pressure of my regs I was wondering how do you people do that?
The obvious but least convenient way is this: every time I want to measure it, remove the plug from a IP port, attach a BCD inflator hose to it, measure IP, remove hose and replace the plug.
Is there anything more convenient than this?
I do have a spare inflator hose and I was thinking to leave it permanently on the reg. Yes it is a extra point of failure, but isn't removing/attaching hoses also "dangerous"?
What do you think?
Any other options?
Thanks

Another option would be to purchase a 2nd stage inline adjuster with IP gauge...you will need to remove the 2nd stage from the hose to attache the tool but you won't need to mess with the port plugs and attache a hose.

Not sure why you think removing/attaching hoses is dangerous. The 1st stage is made of brass...there is the chance of cross-threading the hose to first stage connection if you are not careful, and there is the possibility of over-tightening and stripping the 1st stage port by being ham-fisted... but a little prudence will avoid all of that. The only danger with attaching a hose is if the hose is worn out/compromised and bursts when pressurized. Inspect the o-ring on the port plug to make sure it is in good shape before reinstalling it and there should be no problem.

For a Pony/stage regulator set, I personally would rather remove a LP port plug and attach an inflator hose than monkey with removing the 2nd stage.

-Z

Adding an additional failure point or concern that adding and removing a hose on a regular basis isn't really a reason not to add a hose. There are zillions of divers out there most with 3 or 4 hoses coming out of their regulators and hose failures are quite rare, and often times there are warning signs and/or the hoses are from the year of the flood. Screwing a hose into a first stage isn't going to make it more likely to fail unless you needlessly do it dozens of times and somehow damage the O-ring or leave it too loose so it leaks or overtighten it against the soft brass and damage the seat.

Adding an additional hose is adding more drag, it's another piece of gear that needs to be addressed, clipped on, clipped off or otherwise dealt with every time you assemble and break down your rig. Is it worth it, for the very rare times you need to check an IP? It;s like divers who have an extra hose with a nozzle to inflate a marker from depth. I'd do it if I was drift diving every time but for my diving purposes the extra hose is excessive. Same goes for a backup SPG when you've got AI. Some divers think the extra hose is worth it, others say the extra hose and gauge is a waste of effort.

You may never have occasion to check an IP if you service your regulator periodically, and if you do have a need to check it more often then get the type of IP gauge that pops right into the power inflator hose of your BCD. Keep it in your tool kit so it's right there whenever you need it.

The best is to remove the LP plug, attached the BC inflator hose and connect the gauge to the hose, turn the air on and measure.

Why is that the "best"?

-Z

The best is to remove the LP plug, attached the BC inflator hose and connect the gauge to the hose, turn the air on and measure.

The best way is to pop the LP hose off the BCD inflator, and pop in a compatible IP gauge into the hose. No tools, no removing high pressure fittings.

The way I do it, on the rare occasion I'm trying to troubleshoot a freeflowing second state is this:

Use an LP to HP adapter which costs about $10 and fits easily into my spare parts box without taking up much room. Insert the LP male end into one of the LP ports on the first stage, insert my AI transmitter into the female HP end of the adapter, turn on my AI dive computer and read the IP of the first stage right on my screen.

The best way is to pop the LP hose off the BCD inflator, and pop in a compatible IP gauge into the hose. No tools, no removing high pressure fittings.

The way I do it, on the rare occasion I'm trying to troubleshoot a freeflowing second state is this:

Use an LP to HP adapter which costs about $10 and fits easily into my spare parts box without taking up much room. Insert the LP male end into one of the LP ports on the first stage, insert my AI transmitter into the female HP end of the adapter, turn on my AI dive computer and read the IP of the first stage right on my screen.

The OP is not using his 1st stage on his stage bottle to feed his BC so there is no LP hose to pop off his BCD and pop in a compatible IP gauge as you suggest...so in the case of the OP that is not the best way to check the IP of his stage bottle's 1st stage.

While the idea of using an AI transmitter with an adapter to check IP seems novel, there are a couple of issues with it:

First, I don't think it displays as responsively as a gauge with a needle to check that the IP locks up.

Second, an inexpensive IP gauge from Dive Gear Express can be had for $10...so there is no need to spend that same $10 on an adapter and waste the battery on one's transmitter. I have a Suunto AI computer and the transmitter uses a 1/2AA battery which is difficult to find where I live...so i would rather not activate my transmitter unnecessarily + some transmitter manufacturers, like Suunto, recommend replacing the transmitter cover when removing the self-tapping screws that hold it in place....that would be an additional expense if using the $200+ transmitter to do the job of a $10 IP gauge.

Just sayin.

-Z

^All good points, although the transmitter in my Oceanic has the same CR2 Lithium battery in it for over 10 years with no sign of drain or failure, it's easy to replace using nothing more than a coin on the hatch cover, and I've always got a few spares on hand.

I can't imagine that occasionally using the transmitter for an IP check would cause significant battery drain.

Don't see anything unusual about the threads on the transmitter, no hatch or self tapping screws - seems the same as any male hose end or port plug that I've ever seen, and I like the digital readout of the IP.

Thanks for all the answers. As usual for SB very nice suggestions and plenty of food for thought.

Let me reply to some of you:
Why go to all this extra work? A better solution is to maintain the regulator.
Do you imply that well maintained regs don't creep? I don't have much experience. I own regs for less than a year (without any problems so far), but I have the impression that creep is something that can happen even to "well" maintained regs. And yes I do try to take good care of them but as usual sh*t happens and an IP check would hopefully reveal problems before it is too late - that's why I do it. For my main regulator set (which includes a BCD power inflator hose of course) measuring IP is so easy that I usually do it once a month or so (that's every 4-5 dives with my current schedule).

Another option would be to purchase a 2nd stage inline adjuster with IP gauge
That's a good idea - 2nd reg removal sounds easier than temporally adding a hose. Too bad my inline adjuster doesn't have an IP gauge :S. I will consider it for the future though.

Not sure why you think removing/attaching hoses is dangerous.
Leaks due to worn o-rings or dirt come to mind. I know it is not that easy provided I pay some attention to it and it will probably be nothing catastrophic (I've seen several slightly leaking regs - especially rental ones) but the more one fiddles with such things the more probable it becomes.

if you do have a need to check it more often then get the type of IP gauge that pops right into the power inflator hose of your BCD.
I think you mixed up a bit. I'm talking about pony/stage regs which (I think) usually don't have power inflator hoses on them. Here I am investigating if adding such a hose temporally or permanently (or any alternative method) would be preferred .

As for the AI that's another interesting idea I haven't even thought about. But I don't currently use (and I don't plan to use) an AI computer - getting one just to measure IP is of course out of question.

For now I think I will go the easy way (temporally add an inflator hose every time I want to measure it) and see how it goes. I might buy an in-line tool with a gauge if the above proves impractical.

Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom