IP Question - ScubaPro MK25 / MK17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noj3333

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have two ScubaPro regulators.

The MK25 holds a stable IP of 160psi.

The MK17 holds a stable IP of 145psi.

Should these be sent in to be tuned before I go on a dive trip? I would think the MK25 should, but what about the 17 as well?

Thanks

There's a lot of questions to be asked here. Are you testing/adjusting these yourself? What kind of tools or diagnostic equipment are you using? Do you have the adjustment/repair procedures for these particular stages?

@Scuba_Aaron, sorry if my first post was vague.

I thought it would be a good idea to put my regs on a cylinder before my upcomming trip. When I did this I used an IP gauge (just one I bought from DGX I believe) to see what the IP was, and if there was any creep.

With the MK25, the IP is stable, just high, reading 160psi.

I did not have any manuals (well, i google'ed them after reading the @guruboy post)...

With the manuals in hand I tried to turn the MK25 IP pressure down, but was unable to do so.

**At this point I will be sending them out for service/ inspection/ adjustment.**

It's not a big deal, a small cost to be confident that everything is in working order...

Those IPs are on the high side - I shoot for 135. 145 is the top of the range but 160 is out. Adjust the MK25 and re-tune your 2nds.

Thank you for the reply. I've been resistant to get into servicing my own regulators. I'm pretty handy (GC'ed/ built my own house at age 28, fix most things that break around the house, car repairs when time is permitting, etc...).

With being able to do a lot of stuff I don't like paying people to do things for me... but this leads to a lot of work and a lot of chores (in addition to 50-80 hours of work per week at my regular job)...

With my regulators I made a conscious decision to NOT learn how to fix/ service them... with this I'm now second guessing my decision. However, I'll send these out and focus my energy on something I can do around the house, with tools and knowledge I already have....

160 PSI is way too high!! It maybe stable but too high and will make the second stage unstable.

Thank you, this is the info I was looking for, although the other posts were helpful as well. I've come to the conclusion that the regulator will be sent out for service...

If you have doubts about your gear, by all means have it serviced by a competent technician. Just peace of mind going into a dive trip is worth a couple bucks.

If you have an IP gauge and a hex key set, for the MK25 job, you are already there. It would be fairly trivial for you I am thinking. Doing a full service on them is a quite a bit more involved. The 17 uses shims to set the IP - you have to open it up but may only need to remove a shim (if there is more than one) to bring the IP down. I wouldn't be too concerned at 145 however. Having the IP gauge is a very handy tool to diagnose your regs - you have it so learning what it is telling you again, doesn't seem like it would be much for you. You said the IPs were solid so you're golden other than the adjustment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom