iPad 4 Transfer, App, and Editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Headed to South Africa (Indian Ocean side) in September to dive with ScubaAddicts SharkWeek adventure. Just opened my new toys(Hero3 Silver and iPad4) and started playing.

In reading a bunch of posts it seemed transferring videos to an iPad was prickly at best. However, I'm confused. I shot my first videos, popped open the iPad App, and wirelessly transferred any video file I wished. Couldn't have been more easy. What am I missing?

Marc

Headed to South Africa (Indian Ocean side) in September to dive with ScubaAddicts SharkWeek adventure. Just opened my new toys(Hero3 Silver and iPad4) and started playing.

In reading a bunch of posts it seemed transferring videos to an iPad was prickly at best. However, I'm confused. I shot my first videos, popped open the iPad App, and wirelessly transferred any video file I wished. Couldn't have been more easy. What am I missing?

Marc
Hopefully you'll be missing Somali pirates.
But seriously, the iPad has limited storage space and I don't think it would be very good for heavy editing of HD video. Simple playback I guess is whats its good for.

Since we're only taking the iPad, and not a laptop...my thought is to upload a single video at a time. Then edit it using some iPad software (TBD) and then store that edited video on an external HD. We're taking an external HD anyway to backup my wife's DSLR photos. Any flaw in that methodology?

I don't know what quality of video you'll be recording at but I seriously doubt the iPad will be up to the task of much editing. It requires significant horsepower to edit HD video. In the case of GoPro video, the files will be large and require lots of RAM and Processor power to handle it. I have a 6-core 3.6 GHZ processor with 16GB of RAM PC and it can still take it some time to render edited video. I juts can't see that little tablet pulling it off. Heck you might have to wait a week for a single render to complete. :crazyeye:

For the action of transferring, your method sounds fine.

Take some relatively long sample video and give it a try. I'll be taking a Laptop with me to do the same and that thing is still a dog when it comes sown to editing.

Just a warning what ever you put on the ipad it will be COMPRESSED beyond belief you will loose a lot of quality! and also forget editing on the ipad thats just dead in the water sorry you need to either take a laptop or an external file copier that will take the huge amount of data that your be shooting TRUST ME the ipad is only good for viewing finished stuff which is stored safely some where else thats the same for photos too!!!!

Or try testing iMovie, which I've used for week-long Coz trips. It lacks many of the bells/whistles, but can handle more than you'd think. And I've gotten pretty good 4-5 minute edited vids. YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom