IRDA for Windows 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there anyone here that uses POLAR's IRDA adapter with WIN 10? I know that there are 2 types of adapters of this company - silver (POLAR IRDA USB 2.0 ADAPTER) and black (POLAR IrDA USB 1.1 Adapter). I did not find the information which of them can work with WIN 10.

I use a cheap one, bought at Maplins.
As far as I know, any one should work.
Good luck...

Thank you so much for your answers. You helped me save a lot of $$$:wink:

I bought silver polar and with my version of Windows 10 version 1809 it refuses to work. What version of Windows do you have? I do not understand where the problem is in the Windows system or in the adapter?

FWIW I have a brand new/clean install of Win10x64_1809 Pro. Just loaded Smarttrak ver 2081 (I tried a later version awhile back and it had problems with ver 1803 so I went back to a known working version).

Worked perfectly. Plug in the USB. Hopefully you may seem some activity about the device being loaded down in the lower right corner area.
Then go into [Device Manager]. You should seen an entry for [Infrared Devices]. Click on that to see [USB Infrared Adapter]. Right click that and my silver IR device says it's an [ASIX Electronics Corp].

If you don't see that you have an issue with either Windows or the actual IR device. If you can plug it into another Win10 PC you should be able to see the same info in Device Manager if the IR device is working. You don't have to load Smarttrak to see if the IR is found.

Situation seems to have changed with the Windows 10 release 1903 (spring 2019). I use a USB-IrDA Sigmatel 4200 (to be qualified as 4000 within Windows, Belkin FSU235ea) with old and new Galileos. No problems until and including latest updates of Windows 10, 1809. Stopped working with version 1903 that is just being rolled out. Others suffer from the same problem, also with another IrDA dongle, cf. (sorry, German websites)
https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de...4f8a-8cf4-191b2df5924c?rtAction=1559131856643
and
https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de...ehr-nach/78e6e2eb-e0fc-40c8-8654-88298ab46a99
Scubapro Germany say that their (very expensive) IrDA equipment works with Windows 1903. I still wait for confirmation from my dealer. I still remember that it did not work in 2015 with Windows 1511 before Microsoft reestablished IrDA functionality. Problem was described in Microsoft Feedback Hub.

Back
Top Bottom