IRDA for Windows 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The saga continues. Had problems with a Linux/Win10 dual boot which screwed up the bootloader so badly that I had to wipe the SSD and reload a fresh copy of Win10 Prox64 ver. 1909.
I have had Smarttrak and the generic {Polar) IrDa dongle working fine on this exact same system. Now it won't work.
Initially I had no apparent problem loading the IrDa dongle and driver. I did have to "add" it in [Apps], then downloaded the driver. Everything looked normal.
Loaded Smarttrak > seemed to load fine, no errors. Rebooted as requested.
Tried to run Smarttrak and got this:

Exception EAccessViolation in module SmartTRAK.exe at 0008F052. Access violation at address 0048f052 in module SmartTrak.exe. Read of address 000000004.
Get a similar screen when I close that out.

Downloaded a fresh copy. Reloaded > exactly the same error.

So I tried to use the Powershell command to query/uninstall/install the IrDa.
Query was positive for install.
Uninstalled successfully
Now it will NOT INSTALL, either through Apps, or Powershell.

Weird.

Resolution!
The ONE thing I did differently with the 'failed' Smarttrak system is I loaded Win10-1909 in UEFI. I had not done this before as I really didn't understand it.
Wiped the system, reloaded in MBR (normal 'older' BIOS version), and now everything works fine.
No idea why. In theory should not make a difference.

CONFIRMED! - Loaded Win10_1909, clean install, using UEFI on a totally different PC. Smarttrak loaded, apparently OK. But when attempted to open got exactly the same access violations. So, it's not a hardware problem I think.

Resolution!
The ONE thing I did differently with the 'failed' Smarttrak system is I loaded Win10-1909 in UEFI. I had not done this before as I really didn't understand it.
Wiped the system, reloaded in MBR (normal 'older' BIOS version), and now everything works fine.
No idea why. In theory should not make a difference.
Something caused by Secure Boot, maybe? That's the main difference betwen UEFI and MBR, from what I understand. Although, I could be wrong, as I left desktop PCs behind and moved to the embedded world a long time ago .

Something caused by Secure Boot, maybe? That's the main difference between UEFI and MBR, from what I understand. Although, I could be wrong, as I left desktop PCs behind and moved to the embedded world a long time ago .

I don't have the option to do anything about [Secure Boot] in the BIOS for that test machine. I can turn UEFI on and off.

Not trying to hijack, but a quick detour - does anyone know of an inexpensive Irda dongle still available? It seems like they're outdated enough to demand "vintage" pricing now. $60 is entirely too much to interest me, and plenty are going for $200+

Win10x64 Pro, version 2004.
2004 just came out. Clean load on a test PC, not UEFI. Don't know if UEFI will screw it up like it seemed to in v-1909.
Added the IrDA - directions in previous posts.
Loaded SmartTRAK > connected and downloaded an Aladin Tec 2G without any issue.
Wow! Something they didn't screw up.

NOTE - This version of Win10 PRO, has done away with the [Deferred Update] menu in [Updates], at least for now. Only a 30 day [Pause] is available.
You can still use [Group Policy Edit] to control updates.

Opinion - There is absolutely nothing in this version that would seem to warrant an upgrade, certainly not for many months. Maybe this fall...maybe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom