Irma in the Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has been some damage to a dock in North Side by Over the Edge. Wouldn't be surprised if the dock at West Bay Public Beach suffers as well.

Was a bit odd to see southwest swell coming in along the shore in High Rock. Rough seas all around except inside the reef off the tip of the island in East End Give it a day or two more. Might be later this week before visibility settles back to normal.

by "a bit of a mess" scoobydrew is undoubtedly talking about sea state on the west side. Though the waterfront is closed due to the sea spray splashing on the road near teh harbour in George Town, there is no damage to speak of to buildings in Cayman. Hotels are open as normal.

Perhaps the biggest impact from Irma is the help Cayman is sending to our fellow overseas territories. A police contingent has been sent to the Turks and Caicos Islands. And our airport in Grand Cayman is once again acting as a stepping stone for US military relief efforts heading from their Honduras base to the USVI.

Jean land 2 009.JPG
West bay docks looks like it held up pic taken this morning

I was wondering the same thing. I had charted the IRMA route on the map and was wondering how it would impact different areas of the Caribbean. Many thanks for your update. Dive safe.

Thank you for the information, it is good to hear, does anyone know how the Cayman sister islands weathered the storm?

Thank you for the information, it is good to hear, does anyone know how the Cayman sister islands weathered the storm?
Check out JET photo's Facebook page. He has some good pictures of Brac after Irma.

I was on LC and there was some wind but no major damage seen. Getting off the island on Saturday was a bit of a white knuckle experience.

Glad we decided to push our trip back by a week. We were suppose to be flying in on Saturday...via Fort Lauderdale. What were the water temps like? Trying to decide whether to bring my 3mil shorty or just wear shorts and a rash guard like I have on the last two trips.

The water was 86 F, no thermocline. I was wearing a full 3 and was comfy but many others were diving in much less without complaints.

Back
Top Bottom