Irma update page ... please post here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone.

I was wondering how different communities in the Caribbean have been impacted by this catastrophe. Firstly my thoughts go out to all the people who have been effected by this no matter where they happen to be. Secondly, since Caribbean has served American divers for years, this is an unsettling moment for US based dive shops, dive clubs, independent tourists as well the the businesses spread across the Caribbean who host us in thousands every year.

I thought it would be wise to start a thread in which dive businesses from Puerto Rico, Saba, St Maarten, Cuba, Honduras, Cayman Islands, Belize, Truks and Caicos, Bahamas and all other parts of the Caribbean could put an OK report. If that does not seem to be the case than any and all updates would be appreciated. We would love to know which businesses are up and running and which ones have been impacted. Any and all updates will be welcome.

I hope things return back to normal. Stay safe and looking forward to hearing from everyone.

CS

Rhone Man reporting in. BVI is starting to come back to life a week after Irma passed. We went completely dark for a while.

The destruction in the BVI was on a scale I have never seen. I have been through a number of hurricanes before, but this was like nothing I have seen or experience. During the eye I ran out to effect emergency repairs, and it was like a movie from world war one. You couldn't see far because of the cloud and mist, but the ground had been scoured of all vegetation, and every tree had been blasted to stumps.

After the storm finally cleared the island was completely scattering in debris. I'd estimate 60-70% of homes lost their roofs (thankfully not mine). I'd estimate 95% of houses lost at least some windows.

The eye wall passed over us (twice, obviously), with sustained 185mph winds. Gusts recorded over 200mph. The hurricane glass in my house is rated up to 150mph. I am very, very glad to be alive with my family.

I do need to say just one more word about the next day and the triumph of the human spirit. We came out and obviously the roads were completely impassable, poles and trees down every 10 feet. But within hours entire communities had turned out with whatever they had to hack, chop and cut away at the hugest and fiercest of obstacles, and clear the roads to let relief come through. The thought still fairly moves me to tears of the sight of people who literally lost everything they have, just rolling up their sleeves and doing what they could to start making life a little better.

Rhone Man reporting in. BVI is starting to come back to life a week after Irma passed. We went completely dark for a while.

The destruction in the BVI was on a scale I have never seen. I have been through a number of hurricanes before, but this was like nothing I have seen or experience. During the eye I ran out to effect emergency repairs, and it was like a movie from world war one. You couldn't see far because of the cloud and mist, but the ground had been scoured of all vegetation, and every tree had been blasted to stumps.

After the storm finally cleared the island was completely scattering in debris. I'd estimate 60-70% of homes lost their roofs (thankfully not mine). I'd estimate 95% of houses lost at least some windows.

The eye wall passed over us (twice, obviously), with sustained 185mph winds. Gusts recorded over 200mph. The hurricane glass in my house is rated up to 150mph. I am very, very glad to be alive with my family.

I do need to say just one more word about the next day and the triumph of the human spirit. We came out and obviously the roads were completely impassable, poles and trees down every 10 feet. But within hours entire communities had turned out with whatever they had to hack, chop and cut away at the hugest and fiercest of obstacles, and clear the roads to let relief come through. The thought still fairly moves me to tears of the sight of people who literally lost everything they have, just rolling up their sleeves and doing what they could to start making life a little better.

Glad to know you are safe man! With 95% of structural damage I am sure the next few months are going to be very busy over there. Any idea when dive businesses will be in a position to start taking customers? Thanks so much for such a detailed report.

Back
Top Bottom