Ironman question for locals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubavaquera

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am making my travel reservations for Thanksgiving in Coz. I have to jump soon because the airfare has literally gone up 100.00 this morning. :shakehead: So my question is: I have to leave the island on Sunday the 28th, which is the day of the Ironman. How hard will it to get over to the ferry? I know they close Melgar to car traffic, but will I be able to scoot across someplace with my luggage? Or am I going to be playing frogger with the bikers/runners? I hope this isn't a silly question because I am assuming they would have to have some way for folks to get over to the ferry - but I wasn't sure how that would work. Any thoughts? I wish I could just leave on Monday but there is that whole stupid work thing....

If you are looking at air fares online, some sites leave cookies on your machine that will cause subsequent views of that site to show higher prices just to get a buy quickly reaction like yours. Try using the phone for a better fare.

Yep - I know of that tactic so I did call and sure enough, it jumped that much! It makes me crazy! Yesterday I found a R/T out of STL to CUN on Delta for 438.00. I thought that was pretty good but I waited until today to buy. As of this morning that same fare jumped to 618.00. I also searched one-way fares and they are the ones that jumped 'only' 100.00 each so now it is just as cheap to do the R/T. I have tried it every possible way. Since I am less than a month out now and it is Thanksgiving travel I'm just gonna have to bend over....

I am making my travel reservations for Thanksgiving in Coz. I have to jump soon because the airfare has literally gone up 100.00 this morning. :shakehead: So my question is: I have to leave the island on Sunday the 28th, which is the day of the Ironman. How hard will it to get over to the ferry? I know they close Melgar to car traffic, but will I be able to scoot across someplace with my luggage? Or am I going to be playing frogger with the bikers/runners? I hope this isn't a silly question because I am assuming they would have to have some way for folks to get over to the ferry - but I wasn't sure how that would work. Any thoughts? I wish I could just leave on Monday but there is that whole stupid work thing....

Yes - you will be able to get across tot he ferry - especially if you are leaving before the marathon starts which is the only part of the competition that goes down that section of Melgar.

The marathon is the last thing they do and if I recall correctly, last year the first runner didn't start until about 2:00pm. The marathon starts at the corner of 11th and Melgar and goes down to the north end and back (4 or 5 times - can't remember which

Thanks Christi! I was hoping you would see my post. Now I won't sweat it so much. :D
Now my biggest challenge will be cooking a Thanksgiving meal for my boyfriend (who is a local) and his family. They want to have an 'american style' meal but he only has a cooktop stove - no oven. But hey- where there's a will there's a way, right?! Maybe my good friend Jen will let me use her oven! ;-)

Scubacoz - You'll be able to get to the airport. Depending on where you're staying, the trip could take a bit longer and the route may not be as direct as on a day when all streets & all lanes are open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom