Irrational fears..Help me, Scuba-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgoodstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am a new diver going through my courses. Outside of Open water diving I have been working with a team of researchers in Florida studying the predatory cycles of TOP predators in the coastal everglades here in Florida. I have handled sharks ( Lots of bulls, lemons, Atlantic sharp nose, and nurse sharks). I have handled alligators of all shapes, sizes, and aggression levels. I do not pretend to be the know all end all as I am the stills photographer and I work for the biologists, but i consider myself highly educated in marine biology. So thats where I am at and where the problem presents itself. I will be diving and shooting for some upcoming research and tv series we are working on (very excited), and plan to use this new skill both professionally and privately.

My wife, who is the love of my life, is to say the least horrified of sharks. She won't even go in the ocean and turn her back to the water she's so scared. We go to sea world and she ends up crumpled on the floor clenching to my legs cutting off all circulation as we visit the shark tanks. Now I have friends that have actually been bitten, I have handled sharks in and out of the water, and have a healthy respect for them. But her fear is irrational the odds of her getting bitten or attacked is pretty small compared to her daily routine. She knows plenty about them and even saw sharkwater the documentary and was appalled at the treatment of such wonderful creatures. I think the long ingrained fear put into her as a child has had a real negative impact on her.

It's our 10 year anniversary and we are going to Roatan Honduras. I plan on diving and she'd like to as well. She's fine.. but nervous about diving even in a pool. I told her that we will snorkel in lagoons together but leave the scuba to me until you get over your fear. So with that said my question goes out to those especially that live in Florida.

How do you get over your irrational fear of sharks? Therapy? slow introductions to the creatures? force her into Open water training? Does anyone know any good therapists that may be able to assist?

Thanks in advance.

Her irrational fear of sharks could lead to real injury or death. If I were you, I'd have her skip diving. The way you describe it, her fear is extreme and if it hits while she's submerged, . . . .

I agree. She has no business diving until she can overcome her fear.

There are plenty of good therapists that work on fears - spiders, flying, outside, etc. Check out this list: The Phobia List

It has a list of sites for help with a phobia. Many times, insurance pays for such treatments since an onset of fear can trigger many health issues, not the least being a heart attack.

BTW, the goal should be to help deal with the phobia, not just to get your wife in the water.

It's our 10 year anniversary and we are going to Roatan Honduras. I plan on diving and she'd like to as well. She's fine.. but nervous about diving even in a pool. I told her that we will snorkel in lagoons together but leave the scuba to me until you get over your fear. So with that said my question goes out to those especially that live in Florida.

Go somewhere that has a nice mix of diving and above-water activities, and you can dive for a few hours, your wife can go shopping, then you can meet up and do stuff together. There are a number of islands that would work nicely for this, or even a cruise (you can book your own dives on the islands)

I would absolutely not pressure (or even allow) her to take SCUBA classes while she's still afraid of the water and/or the things in it. She could easily panic and die.

Terry

PS. your wife does not want to dive. She's doing this for you, which is exactly the wrong reason.

My priority is to help her deal with her fears, If she never dives EVER, I'm cool with that. But i think Web monkey got it right, she's diving for me not for her. I'm going to go get her help with the fear and anxiety, and maybe in a few years she might try. I have put ZERO pressure on her, and am just looking for ways to help.

In no way would I ever put her in dangers way, she's too important to me and my boys. I just want her to live the fullest life she is capable of including overcoming fears and obstacles. I will check out the links, thank you for the advice and more advice is welcome !!!

OK, I agree with one of the other responses that the irrational fear is due to a past experience she has repressed. I have some tips. I am not sure what part of Florida you are in but I am in Broward and I have extreme anxiety and had a great instructor for SCUBA. He even took us out to see nurse sharks on out second dive. I was scared, but he had taught us about them, and he also told us he goes to the reef almost every day. Also, again not knowing what part of Florida you are in, I am going to put a website here, it is to a man who is an excellent therapist. He does life coaching, and I am not sure, but maybe if you email him from the website he can refer you either to someone, or maybe do a session to help, but he works with people of trauma and ptsd, and has helped many his website is tollefsonenterprises.com

jgoodstein:
We go to sea world and she ends up crumpled on the floor clenching to my legs cutting off all circulation as we visit the shark tanks.
Unfortunately the media's irresponsible portrayal of sharks has led both to many with irrational fears and to the attitude of "the only good shark is a dead shark". I know JAWs was a great movie and based upon a true but very rare event that has traumatized a whole bunch of people about going SCUBA diving. Even the TV show Sea Hunt (1950s) played up the shark as dangerous. Funny they think nothing of wading or swimming or surfing at the beach which is oh by the way where most shark attacks occur and where in JAWS all the action was. The facts are that your family dog is statistically more likely (185:1) to kill you than a shark.

But there it is. She is traumatized. If she saw a shark, which as you know is a very rare occurrence unless you chum the waters or go to known hot spots the resulting panic attack could result in serious injury to both her and others. So unfortunately unless she seeks profesional help and gets treated, I would agree with others, best to keep her on shore.

jgoodstein cool, Aquanauts.biz is the scuba instructor I had that got me through my anxieties with diving, he is good and trains disabled as well so he is very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom