Is 3 hours crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can do the normal 2+ hours to Dutch and back. Any more and the wife starts to get a little edgy about being in the vehicle, especially if I'm driving.

My *shortest* seems to be 5 hours each way. It's not abnormal to do 6-, 8- or even 10-hour trips (each way) to get to diving, and I rarely stay overnight. Now, admittedly, if I get tired, I'll take a short refresher nap at a rest area, but that doesn't count, since it's short and it's still on the Interstate.

normally our drive is only 2 hours, but we dive all day and sometimes drive back home, sometimes stay overnight.

last summer we drove to LA, 12 hours each way, for just 2 days of diving. Yes, we stayed overnight on the boat. We will be doing the same thing again this summer most likely.

I regularly do a 5 hour drive for two tank dives in Superior, then drive 5 hours back. I don't relish the drive, but it's worth it to me simply because I can't really afford to do those dives frequently if I have to pay for hotel as well.

Though lately I've taken to reserving a camp site at a state park and pitching a tent. That lets me get in more dives as well, and tent sites are pretty cheap at parks . . .

3hrs is very low if its for both legs of the trip.

Usually here its 2hrs each way to the boats.

Did 5hrs each way last month just to dive an inland site.

The journey costs near 3x the cost of the dive factoring fuel.

What is the longest ride you have taken in a car to go diving? And returned home the same day.

My typical drive is about 2 1/2 hours each way.

For me, the dives have to be pretty special to drive more than 2 1/2 hours each way.

For diving day-trips, my longest drives were about 3 1/2 hours each way. Did that a couple of times.

As the logistical time, effort and expense increases, I find myself wanting to balance that with more time in the water, since I'm usually shore diving.

That can make for a very long day, but it's almost always worth it.... :D

Want to talk about crazy? Consider the people who not only drive a long way, but drag a boat with them.

I remember quite a few trips leaving in the dark and returning in the dark....Those had to be some special dives to make that effort....

Scallops.... :D

Dave C

Lets see:
When home in LI, its 2 1/2 hr to Dutch Springs in the morning, and 3 1/2 for the return trip. To Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay) its 1 1/2 hr in morning and close to 3 hr for return trip (love that NYC traffic). or to head east to Montauk Point, its about

Lets see:
When home in LI, its 2 1/2 hr to Dutch Springs in the morning, and 3 1/2 for the return trip. To Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay) its 1 1/2 hr in morning and close to 3 hr for return trip (love that NYC traffic). or to head east to Montauk Point, its about 1 1/2 hr in the wee hours of the morning or 3 hrs with Friday night traffic.

When in Florida (Lake Worth) its just about 2 hrs to Key Largo or Tavernier in morning and abt 2 1/2 for the return trip in the afternoon.

How about 45 minute drive to the marina, 3 hour boat ride to Catalina (aboard a slow boat), 3 dives, 3 hour return to marina and drive 45 mins back home. This is pretty typical for many SoCal boat dives.

I used to drive about 3 hours each way every Wed & Sat to dive with the Swampers at Twin Lakes in Houston, now I live 20 mins from Lake Travis in Austin :)

Back
Top Bottom