Is 5 mil too much suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ketchumid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are heading down to Blue Angel Dive shop/hotel for the last in February- should I be thinking about something besides my 5 mil wetsuit? Works great in HI but is it too much in Cozumel? I tend to get a bit cold and we are planning 3 dive a day/night. Suggestions?

I did my diving in Coz in a 3 mil suit, but in retrospect, I would have been more comfortable in a 5 mil. I wasn't unpleasantly cold at the end of the dives, but the minute I would get out of the water, I'd begin to shiver. I have since learned that wearing more insulation in the water will prevent this.

Lots of people use 5ml suits in Coz in the winter, including me! Absolutely the right thickness if you tend to get cold. I also have a microfleece jacket to don immediately after dives -- if the wind is blowing, it can initially be very chilly when you come out of the water.

I've never heard of anyone complaining of being too warm. Since you're someone who already gets cold easily and planning on 3 dives per day, I'd definately take the 5mm suit. You may be hot on the boat, and during a dive might have to cool off by pulling the neck open and letting some water in, but that's manageable.

The flip side is that if you go with the 3mm, which might be enough, but it's cool during your surface intervals, you'll wish you had the warmer suit, and there won't be an easy remedy.

Many of the locals dive in 5mm suits and more, so you won't be an oddball, and the only drawback is the extra ballast you'll need to carry.

DH and I use our 3 mil for most of the year in for Cozumel. However, after the second day of our February trip last year we were very cold. We ended up purchasing a dive hood/vest for upper body insulation. The extra layer made all the difference and we were able to continue to dive in comfort. Use your 5 mm and since you tend to get cold easily, I would also recommend you take a hood or a beanie just in case. Also, you may want to take a wind parka for the boat . Sue Sue

While I am comfortable in a .5mm or just a t-shirt, my wife/buddy prefers her 5mm whenever we go to Cozumel. It can be a bit too warm while gearing up but she has never been too warm while in the water. If you tend to be cold blooded, you will probably be comfortable in your 5mm.

3mm was good for me but I dont get cold easy, so a 5mm for you would be good. As Deb said make sure you have something warm and dry to put on once you get on the boat, if its cloudy or choppy you can get cold.

Brian

You need to make that decision yourself, based upon water temps and the type of diving you'll be doing. Generally, divers with more experience are better off tending towards thicker suits while newer divers are better off with thinner wetsuits.

The tradeoff is that thicker suits change buoyancy more than thin ones. Experienced divers will have less trouble maintaining buoyancy, so the penalty in inconvenience in going to a thicker suit is not as great for an experienced diver as for a new diver.

A newer diver will generally be using up air faster and will have shorter dives. Newer divers will generally be thrashing around and moving more during the dive, thereby staying warmer. An experienced diver doing drift dives in Cozumel may be close to motionless for much of the dive, thereby tending to get colder. The experienced diver is also more likely to be doing 4 or more dives per day.

A hood or a beanie is the best way to get more thermal insulation with a minimum of buoyancy. A beanie is particularly useful in tropical waters as you can easily don or doff it.

I tend to get cold easy and if I had a 5mil suit I might wear it in the winter when the water might be less than 80. What I find works for me is to take 2 3 mil or microprene suits on a 2 tank dive and put a dry one on for the 2nd dive I also use a 3 mil vest and a squid hat. I always carry a jacket to wear in between dives as well. Its a little extra stuff to tote but it works for me. Hope you enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom