Is a dry suit worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graveyarddiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So here’s the deal, I dive predominately in NC, and SC. Where a wetsuit is generally adequate. However, I’m looking at getting a dry suit. To deal with the colder water as opposed to my 2 piece 7mm for the 8-10 dives I do in the winter here, and for my annual trip to the Florida Springs.

I’m looking at the Hollis BTR 500. Does anyone have any experience with this suit, how is it. I understand it’s a budget drysuit, but due to the limited dives I do in cold water a year I’m not looking to break the bank.

I typically an aluminum back plate with wing, and AL80 doubles, but also use steel doubles when I need more gas. It’s also not uncommon for me to conduct dives requiring Deco. When I carry stage bottles, I keep them for the duration of the dive.

Any advice on the Hollis, suit or alternatives would be much aopreciated.

Drysuit opens up places for diving that I would never consider in my wildest imagination. I have no experience with the hollis but Deep6 is running a special on their suit for 1400 USD. Similar suits normally sell for over 2400 so it I pretty good deal. If you want to go really budget than USIA Bi-lam from DRIS can be hd for 600 ish. Solid suit for what it does.

Don't think. Just do it!

dont forget to consider shell suits

Definitely something to look at, my budget is something below 2k. I know that’s low in the diving world, but I can’t justify any more than that for the amount of diving I get to do in the off season.

Another concern I have with dry suits, is fit. My weight fluctuates +/- 15 pounds, but I stay pretty lean. Would that be enough to create in issue with buoyancy control during the dive?

Definitely something to look at, my budget is something below 2k. I know that’s low in the diving world, but I can’t justify any more than that for the amount of diving I get to do in the off season.

Another concern I have with dry suits, is fit. My weight fluctuates +/- 15 pounds, but I stay pretty lean. Would that be enough to create in issue with buoyancy control during the dive?

If your weight fluctuates on a regular basis, you might want to look at a Fusion. They will grow and shrink with you, to a point.

I dive in NC/SC too. Just got a Drysuit. A fusion. Only have one dive with it so far but already I know I will really like diving dry. Where in NC are you? I’m around the Charlotte/Rock hill area.

I'm in the Fayetteville area, I typically dive out of Wilmington, Southport, and Myrtle Beach. However this time of year I go out a few times with discovery diving.

My search has really been broadened, fit will be my biggest concern, and I'm hoping to avoid a custom suit but am open to one.

I'm in the Fayetteville area, I typically dive out of Wilmington, Southport, and Myrtle Beach. However this time of year I go out a few times with discovery diving.

My search has really been broadened, fit will be my biggest concern, and I'm hoping to avoid a custom suit but am open to one.

I lost 35 lbs and so original custom usia suit didn’t fit anymore. Dove wet for a year and got a Fusion a few months ago. I was able to avoid another custom one because the the fit was so good. Look for my Confessions of a Former Fusion Hater thread.

Deep6 is running a special on their suit for 1400 USD. Similar suits normally sell for over 2400 so it I pretty good deal.

That sounds like a steal. The suit is a slightly modified Ursuit Softdura which is a really nice suit.

Back
Top Bottom