Is a long hose cumbersome on dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bsac teach it... they outlawed the long hose after they done some “extensive testing”...They spend 15 minutes in the shallow end of the pool trying to strangle each other with a 6ft hose and decided that hog loops and primary donate will kill you and everyone around you.
Actually, the research was done by the HSE.

There’s no neck wrapping in the standard hog config - the hose rest on the back of one’s neck but never wraps around the neck. That statement is really ignorant, which surprises coming from a tech instructor (do I have that right?)

At first I really thought you were joking about stuffing the long hose. I don’t know anyone who does that. What do you do with the hose after a temporary air share? For example: buddy came to you for gas, realized valve rolled off, fixed it and went back on their own gas. No need to end the dive, but your long hose is now unstuffed? - what do you do with the hose?

ok wrap it around your neck if you like

The OP's question is really about Slobs vs Non-Slobs. If you're a slob, EVERYTHING is cumbersome. The length of ones hose is irrelevant.

Actually, If I don't dive for several weeks, I become a slob....but, the length of my hose has nothing to do with it.

At first I really thought you were joking about stuffing the long hose. I don’t know anyone who does that. What do you do with the hose after a temporary air share? For example: buddy came to you for gas, realized valve rolled off, fixed it and went back on their own gas. No need to end the dive, but your long hose is now unstuffed? - what do you do with the hose?

So you and I had the exact same thoughts.

How is it you @abnfrog do your S-Drills? As a "tech instructor" the long hose gets pulled from bands on the back mounted cylinder and passed to the OOG diver. You then remove your whole BPW and stow the hose back in your bands or do you have your dive buddy do it? I have never seen this taught in ANY technical class. If I had showed up to my Full Cave class with a long hose in some bands on my backgas, I am sure I would have either been quickly corrected or shown the door on the class.

And then to stow you just hog loop it. I know you think you are clever but I was asking a legitimate question. I have never heard of anyone using bands on a back mount tank to stow a longhose.

I highly doubt he thinks he is clever, because the bands on the back gas is shown in older NSS-CDS cavern and cave diving manuals.

I highly doubt he thinks he is clever, because the bands on the back gas is shown in older NSS-CDS cavern and cave diving manuals.

Define older. 2 years ago or 20 years ago.

You ARE correct. I went back and looked at the 1988 NSS-CDS Cavern manual and it does list the bands on the tank as an "alternative" way to stow the hose. It also mentions how you use J-Valves and so forth. So yes, 30yrs ago stowing the long hose on the back mounted single tank in the Cavern was listed as a way AFTER the primary method of "hog loop".

Needless to say if I had a tech instructor offer that as a legitimate solution for stowing the long hose, I would find another instructor.

heres the deal ive been an it for 19 years , you have your way (if you teach )I have mine (I teach other ways besides tank wrap ,(..DONT teach ,) in adv/nt class ..... in an ooa you are done with the dive ,rec class , at that point you can wrap around your neck and belt stow ......not engaging any more

2 bands go on the tank , you weave the hose under them keeps the stowed neatly and out of the way till you need them . 1 pull and it deploys

Wow, that sounds difficult and possibly hard to deploy in an emergency. The standard Hogarthian routing of the long hose (down the right side from the right post, and goes around something on the right hip (reel, can light, PVC tube, or just tucked if you really don't have anything there). Then up across the chest, behind the back of the neck and into your mouth. Extremely simple to donate, just duck your head and it's all there for the victim.

What is the advantage of weaving the hose under the tank bands? Seems like a lot of trouble, possible for it to catch on deployment behind your back where you can't fix it, and impossible to restow.

Seriously, why not the standard Hogarthian routing?

heres the deal ive been an it for 19 years

If THAT is the deal then it is startling. How many "technical" classes have you taught to stow a long hose in bands on a backmount gas supply? No one is picking, but you being not only a technical instructor but an instructor trainer have espoused a very unorthodox method of technical diving. People just want to know the mechanics of it and the rational. If, "Its just what I do" is your only answer, then it is very weak and if I was a student I would absolutely question it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom