Is a marine head a "must" for you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know people who go every morning at 6am. Rain, wind or shine. Such obedient bowels. I can’t even get up every morning at the same time.

You and me both!

OK, for reals....This did not occur to me when I first responded to this post but I just started my cycle and looked at my cycle calendar and found something horrifying. I'm going to be on a basic boat with no marine head or any place allowing for some privacy to figure out my feminine needs on the heaviest days of my cycle between 8AM-4PM in late April if I stay "on time". I'm always on time. Clockwork. /startpanic. I've been using a cup for the last 8 years and on my heaviest days and the longest I can go for is about 3.5 hours which is the same as the super jumbo abosrbent tampons. Luckily, we have a private charter so it'll just be the 4 of us on beach hopping boat tours and we're not diving on those days. If there is a feminine malfunction, these are the people I would want to have it with. My options as of right now are:
  • Cup
    • Land, ho! and make like a cat in a litter box and dump liquid contents and bury it like they're going to find a body.
    • Tell people I'm chumming for sharks
    • @Falcon21 suggested that I bring a fake knife and pretend to stab myself every 3.5 hours. I'm horrible at improv.
  • Tampon
    • Make Mr OOO hold up a privacy towel around me and bag the pests ("mice") in a black-colored doggy poop bag.
Any votes or suggestions on what to do? :D /stillpanicking

Sounds like that is one of those cases where getting "an extension" might be in order. Gestagentablets like Primolut-N® can be used to postpone menstruation for the needed days. (This is not a contraceptive, so mind the fun...) You need to start a minimum 3 days before your expected period, normal dose is 5 mg, 3 times a day. You can postpone your period for 10-14 days. When you stop, it'll be back in a couple of days.

I know people can extend their periods by using birth control pills or hormones. I don’t know exactly how that works and I suspect there are cons so need to consult with your doctor.

@Falcon21 suggested that I bring a fake knife and pretend to stab myself every 3.5 hours. I'm horrible at improv.

I vote for @Falcon21 's solution :yeahbaby:

I'm thankful I'm well beyond the age where I need to worry about this but I feel your pain.

The dive op we use in Cozumel does have a boat with a head but it's very small and smells so bad I don't want to sit near it let alone in it. I'm not sure why, but even if I don't have a full bladder the minute I hit the water I need to go. You know what they say, "there are divers that pee in their wetsuits and those that lie about it". If possible, I wait till the end of the dive and "check the engines" before ascending the ladder.

Fortunately, I've not had any issues with other forms of evacuation but I've often wondered what I would do. It's refreshing to have a forum where it can be discussed:) Glad to know I am not the only one that worries about this.

My own boat has a head, but it’s not a necessity for me unless it’s more than an hour to the dive site. In that case, I would like one, especially for the return trip. Usually, the only time I use the head on my boat is after we’re at the dock.

I need one, not a deal breaker but I always have to pee after each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom