is a Sony RX100 IV a good beginner camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should probably be asking the same question to others. I used the Sea & Sea Ys01 on the liveaboard. I think the YsD2 is a step up, and the one I've been looking at. I would be really interested to hear what others recommend for us.

I should probably be asking the same question to others. I used the Sea & Sea Ys01 on the liveaboard. I think the YsD2 is a step up, and the one I've been looking at. I would be really interested to hear what others recommend for us.
i recommend you do additional research and decide which strobe(s) is best for you based upon your needs and wallet.

the basic difference in the strobes is the D2 is more powerful and supports a wired sync cable. do you need these features? more power is useful for wide angle (which will also need 2 strobes) but not really required for macro. i do not think you will ever need wired sync cables (i still use them).

lots of people will also recommend inon strobes (z240).

i also recommend getting a pair of strobes. so cost does start to become a real issue by the time you include a good pair of ball arms.

It depends (don't you hate that answer) of course on your goals, current setup, and where you think you might go with uw photography in the future.

As giffenk points out the inon strobes are highly recommended as well so you'll have to decide if you prefer details about the inons or the sea&sea with your particular camera.

I recently added a second strobe and was deciding between the ys-01 and the ys-d2. The ys-d2 is more powerful but is also about $200 more expensive. I ended up choosing the ys-d2 over the ys-01 because with my specific camera, the ys-d2 works more seamlessly in both ttl and manual whereas the ys-01 requires much more configuring on my tg-4 to get it to sync well with the f/o cables. So, make sure you verify the compatibility of your camera with the strobes.

If you have a WAL or expect you'll shoot a lot of wide angle more power (and two strobes) will be useful. If you expect to mostly shoot macro/close up than a single strobe and ys-01 might be more than sufficient.

It depends (don't you hate that answer) of course on your goals, current setup, and where you think you might go with uw photography in the future.

As giffenk points out the inon strobes are highly recommended as well so you'll have to decide if you prefer details about the inons or the sea&sea with your particular camera.

I recently added a second strobe and was deciding between the ys-01 and the ys-d2. The ys-d2 is more powerful but is also about $200 more expensive. I ended up choosing the ys-d2 over the ys-01 because with my specific camera, the ys-d2 works more seamlessly in both ttl and manual whereas the ys-01 requires much more configuring on my tg-4 to get it to sync well with the f/o cables. So, make sure you verify the compatibility of your camera with the strobes.

If you have a WAL or expect you'll shoot a lot of wide angle more power (and two strobes) will be useful. If you expect to mostly shoot macro/close up than a single strobe and ys-01 might be more than sufficient.

i recommend you do additional research and decide which strobe(s) is best for you based upon your needs and wallet.

the basic difference in the strobes is the D2 is more powerful and supports a wired sync cable. do you need these features? more power is useful for wide angle (which will also need 2 strobes) but not really required for macro. i do not think you will ever need wired sync cables (i still use them).

lots of people will also recommend inon strobes (z240).

i also recommend getting a pair of strobes. so cost does start to become a real issue by the time you include a good pair of ball arms.

I will have to do some more research on strobes and my general purpose in photography. My primary focus is to get a underwater housing and arm. In a month or so go diving in my local quarry and get familiar with all the options and settings. I see alot of kits that come with the strobe&arm combos, are those good? what length would you recommend for an arm? are the locline arms good or should I stay away from those? I would assume longer arms for wide shots but I might be wrong :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom