Is a spare mask an absolute requirement when diving solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never carried a second mask but after reading the responses I am going to take one with me on my next dive and practice some lost mask scenarios.

For me ... yes. I have a spare mask on every dive in my left pocket. I've never lost a mast, but I'd rather not have to try and complete a dive blind. I always have a spare mask on every dive, solo or not.

Since it takes up virtually no space in my drysuit pocket I cannot think of a reason NOT to carry one. I use a woven nylon mask strap which should never break but if it did, or if an octopus got a little too amorous, I would rather have a spare mask than not have one.

Became un masked this Saturday. Last dive of a 3 tank trip, all dives between 97 - 90 ft, great viz. I was clearing and the strap snapped out of the buckle. Water in my eyes has never bothered me so no problem there, but could not see well enough to fix the problem. I was next to the wreck, no problem with the viz, slowly made made my way back to the anchor line and started up. Did the suction to the face bit, safety stop and surfaced. Total water time was 13min.

For some unknown reason, I decided not to bring a spare mask. If I had, I would have continued a great wreck dive.
2nd mask is now part of my primary dive gear.

Back
Top Bottom