Is an upgrade worth it for me? Hero 4 vs 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amanwithaphone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks,
I'm a crap videographer, but I like shooting interesting critters and cool formations when I see them. I use a hero 4 silver now. Is it worth upgrading to the 7 black? Put another way, would someone without great skills really notice a difference or would the vids look more or less the same? Thanks very much!

what tray/filter/light setup are you using currently? what kind of diving are you doing?

the hero7 has the biggest improvement if you aren't getting very stable shots with the 4, shallower diving in relatively good visibility with no filters, or want to step up to 4k.

what tray/filter/light setup are you using currently? what kind of diving are you doing?

the hero7 has the biggest improvement if you aren't getting very stable shots with the 4, shallower diving in relatively good visibility with no filters, or want to step up to 4k.

Thanks, I should have included that. I dive mostly Caribbean and occasionally in Florida. Say around 40 to 100 feet. I use the plastic casing on a wrist mount and have a red filter.

I consider myself a crappy videographer. I have GoPro 3 & GoPro 6 videos that could be closed enough as apple to apple comparison.

Here is a video taken by me with GoPro 3:

Here is with GoPro 6:

Hmmm, the conditions are quite different, being one is open water and one is a wreck. So I'm not sure this answered my ?, but I damn sure enjoyed watching the vids. Shark in the wreck is a lemon? Cocos looks like a bucket list trip for sure!

The one in the Hyde wreck is Sand-tiger shark.

I use the same video light, Weefine Solar Flare 5000 lumens for both videos. The overhang wreck environment had similar limited ambient light as the cave in the Cocos video, where the Whitetip Reef Sharks were sleeping (from 2:00 to 2:45 time stamps).

I have been in the same boat as you, I have the 4 Silver too and have really thought about upgrading. I have had it with me for the majority of my dives. I have decided to put off upgrading until I lose it or it breaks. I think investing in a decent light would be a better upgrade than a new camera.

I use a Jaws Clamp as well as a lanyard to keep it secure. A couple months ago during a slow drift dive I reached for my Gopro and it was gone. Not sure how it came unfastened but I had use it recently during the dive and the current was not that strong so I headed back to retrace my path. As soon as I did I saw another diver from a different group heading my way with it in his hands. I motioned to him that it was mine and he handed it to me. Better luck next time!

Thanks, I should have included that. I dive mostly Caribbean and occasionally in Florida. Say around 40 to 100 feet. I use the plastic casing on a wrist mount and have a red filter.

you would get more stable footage with the 7 due to the stabilization. also should be noticeably improved for image quality, but a good video light would likely make a larger difference.

Hi folks,
I'm a crap videographer, but I like shooting interesting critters and cool formations when I see them. I use a hero 4 silver now. Is it worth upgrading to the 7 black? Put another way, would someone without great skills really notice a difference or would the vids look more or less the same? Thanks very much!
If I were you I'd grab a good second hand 6 cheap. That would be a big step up from a 4 without forking out for the 7.

Used 6. Not much the 7 has over the 6 that would be useful uw. The stabilization is the big improvement along with better dynamic range for lower light levels. higher frame rates at given resolutions. That said I find the 4 easier to operate under water .The 4 let's you use back screen to change settings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom