Is anyone concerned about this spreading to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a somewhat related thread.... what rights to self defense to tourists have? Obviously a tourist would not be carrying, and even knives are illegal to carry, but if a tourist fought a national to avoid a mugging, is the tourist in the wrong similar to traffic accidents?

I'm not sure I would want to break my hand over $40, but I definately don't want to go to jail over $40 when the thief says I attacked him.

Are crimes against tourists even prosecuted? When the witness is leaving in a few days, I would think it would be hard.

Just curious.
Jay

I have met 7 people who have neutralized a threat with physical force while in Mexico as foreigners. In those cases none faced legal issues as the attackers were people known to the police and petty criminals. Accidentally defending against a powerfully connected person might end badly. But I've not met someone with this experience yet... Hopefully that means they are uncommon and it doesn't mean they simply disappear.

Regards,
Cameron

(not Cozumel related. I've traveled extensively.)

Using an ATM that far inland after dark is just pure stupidity, and that can not be fixed.

2 blocks east of the waterfront and 2 blocks south of the Plaza?
That's not what I'd consider to be "... in the hood".

2 blocks east of the waterfront and 2 blocks south of the Plaza?
That's not what I'd consider to be "... in the hood".

Based on the pic, it should be common sense to go get money in a more populated area.

I am not shoving this under the rug - it's not news I want to read - BUT don't mistake this with cartel violence. There are thugs on drugs (most likely perpetrators) on this island as there always have been and just like there are in every single place i've been in the world.

This is unfortunate and it pisses me off - but it's NOT a regular occurrence - just a random case of bad luck in the path of a thug on drugs and could happen anywhere. But this doesn't put me into a state of fear for my safety on the island anymore than it does anywhere else. And not that I would want to test them, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the gun was a fake - the last "armed robbery" at a drugstore back in the hood was found to be a plastic gun - looked real though.

I am also very careful of the ATM's I use (anywhere) and am aware of my surroundings and I never go to an ATM by myself at night (anywhere) I usually make sure I'm in a visible area - I'm not saying we can always stop a criminal, but situational awareness goes a long way in prevention from being a victim.

Easy to say, not so easy to implement for all practical purposes.

I mean would you do a "safe" dive in Acapulco?
That's easy; I wouldn't go to Acapulco.

The ATM where this incident occurred is one I’ve used many times, and every time we visit. In fact, it was my preferred location until a few minutes ago after reading this thread. Why did I like it? Well, for starters, I trusted the ATMs there because it’s in the bank building per se. Maybe it’s safe to use only during regular bank hours from now on.

By the way... that previous post about being far away or inland or unpopulated areas... just to clarify, this location is not far from the plaza, nor out in the boonies.

I guess it’s best to use bank ATMs at the MEGA if you need cash after regular bank hours.

I find this worrisome to say the least. Hopefully it’s something authorities successfully prevent from expanding.

Ricardo

The ATM where this incident occurred is one I’ve used many times, and every time we visit. In fact, it was my preferred location until a few minutes ago after reading this thread. Why did I like it? Well, for starters, I trusted the ATMs there because it’s in the bank building per se. Maybe it’s safe to use only during regular bank hours from now on.

By the way... that previous post about being far away or inland or unpopulated areas... just to clarify, this location is not far from the plaza, nor out in the boonies.

I guess it’s best to use bank ATMs at the MEGA if you need cash after regular bank hours.

I find this worrisome to say the least. Hopefully it’s something authorities successfully prevent from expanding.

Ricardo
I always use the bank ATM's in the Palacio Municipale on Melgar across the side street from Chedraui. It's well lit with city personnel hanging around even after dark.

The only thing I don't like about them (the red one, anyway) is that it waits for 10 seconds or so after it gives you the cash to spit out your card, which is plenty of time for you to forget that it's still in the machine and walk away. If you don't take the card it pulls it back in and shreds it. Yes, this is the voice of experience speaking.

If it’s $40 why not just give it to him? If he is armed, my life and well-being is worth more than the $40 (or however much I’m carrying actually). My life is also worth more than “just making a point”.

My life? Hell, I said breaking my hand would not be worth $40. If the guy is armed, that's a no brainer as well if it's only about money or possessions. My question was directed at what protections tourists have under Mexican law for defending themselves. Dogbowl, lets change the scenario to a physical assault on you or a loved one instead of money or posessions. At some point, personal defense becomes a forced option. My ability to run hasn't long since passed, but that's personal to me, not for everyone.

Luckily, I'm aware of an armed attempt for protection money from a hotel a few months ago and this armed robbery attempt so I think I'm safe saying that crimes involving physical violence are very rare against tourists in Coz. We have walked Cozumel at all hours and never had any reason to look at anyone twice as a threat.

In the "bad alcohol" events on the mainland, USA Today stated that there is a less than 5% clearance rate for crimes against tourists. I don't know if that was a national statistic, or local to the Cancun/Playa area....or made up to support the story.

To the OP, concerned? Yes, but no more so than crime anywhere else. We will still go to Coz several times a year until I can retire, then hope to spend at least 6 months a year there.

Jay

Ricardo

It is at the corner of Av 10 and Calle 3 - but it's very dark in that spot at night - and I only use ATM's during business hours or if I need one at night, I go into the grocery store - no matter where I am - this happens everywhere.

Again, I am not denying that there is more crime here than there used to be - crime is up worlwide - but for the most part here, it is non violent crime - and it's not cartel related. Even so, they go after each other or people who have crossed them. Yeh, innocent people can conceivably get caught in a crossfire, but it's not as likely or any more likely that being the victim of a violent crime in the USA or Europe. The threat of being the victim of a mass shooting or terrorist attack anywhere in the USA or Europe is far greater than being the victim of violent crime in Cozumel. 307 mass shootings in the US in 2017 as of a few weeks ago - that doesn't even count terrorist attacks carried out with vehicles, bombs or knives!

And just as a disclaimer - yes, I am a dive shop owner and the erroneous effect on tourism worries me more than the "crime" itself. Wouldn't it worry you if you were a business owner who relied on tourism (or any business being threatened by anything)? But I am also a single woman who has lived here full time for 17 years, applied for and was granted full MX Citizenship because I love it so much and consider this my home, and I still leave my house after dark on a regular basis by myself without fear. I have situational awareness and don't wear flashy jewelry or make myself a target. I don't stumble around drunk (anymore - haha) and I don't involve myself with people or places where drugs are present. I mitigate risk without living in fear or letting it affect my life.

Just like anywhere else, the media (actually the US media) has the situation in Q. Roo blown out of proportion and sensationalized - ESPECIALLY that guy's "news report" from Cancun.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom