Is anyone driving to Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STwill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was just wondering if anyone was driving and what is the cost of the ferry to the island?

Why drive, are you crazy? Well I am thinking of spending more time in Mexico, might have a few passengers with me, and I am in fact crazy :)

I've driven all throught Mexico in the 90's with my Dad, felt pretty safe and was a real fun time, but times have changed abit with all the drug related violence.

If you drive, don't make any stops at the border town, use Freeways (toll roads), and don't drive at night would be my recommendation

As far as the ferry price and schedule:

Let me google that for you

You might want to send a PM to Jim Baldwin and ask some of these questions. He has a house on Cozumel and I know he has made several trips driving there from Louisiana carrying supplies and such. Alternatively, you can search some of his posts and get a lot of helpful information.

There is a car ferry from PDC to Cozumel. If everything goes well and no problems, the drive will still cost more than flying in addition to the complications for special insurance, etc. Yeah - crazy.

If you want to tour the Yucatan peninsula, Easyway car rental is very competitive with offices in Cancun, PDC, many other places around, no drop charges, and you can spend more time touring that getting there. If you want a mainland adventure tho, dodging banditos in the border states, etc., take good notes & pics for your story.

Are you going to the Invasion or should this be in the Cozumel forum...??

If you drive, don't make any stops at the border town, use Freeways (toll roads), and don't drive at night would be my recommendation

As far as the ferry price and schedule:

Let me google that for you

I did google it and found that it's a separate ferry though I couldn't track down the exact price, seems somewhere from 500-750 pesos.

You might want to send a PM to Jim Baldwin and ask some of these questions. He has a house on Cozumel and I know he has made several trips driving there from Louisiana carrying supplies and such. Alternatively, you can search some of his posts and get a lot of helpful information.
Thanks for the info, will do!

There is a car ferry from PDC to Cozumel. If everything goes well and no problems, the drive will still cost more than flying in addition to the complications for special insurance, etc. Yeah - crazy.
Are you going to the Invasion or should this be in the Cozumel forum...??

I'm planning on the invasion, just waiting to see if my GF is going or if I am going alone. If I'm going alone I will have to find a baby sitter for my son. I'm sure he would like to go though, he is quite the swimmer. :)
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/snorkeling-freediving/377907-videos-my-son-freediving.html
If I go alone, then I will be flying for sure, but if I have to buy 4(ouch) plane tickets, then I will have to be driving.

I did google it and found that it's a separate ferry though I couldn't track down the exact price, seems somewhere from 500-750 pesos.

Thanks for the info, will do!

I'm planning on the invasion, just waiting to see if my GF is going or if I am going alone. If I'm going alone I will have to find a baby sitter for my son. I'm sure he would like to go though, he is quite the swimmer. :)
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/snorkeling-freediving/377907-videos-my-son-freediving.html
If I go alone, then I will be flying for sure, but if I have to buy 4(ouch) plane tickets, then I will have to be driving.
Driving thru mainland Mexico, around the Bay, back up the peninsula then across - then car ferry?!
Capture.JPG
2400 miles each way = 4800 @ 20 mpg = 240 gallons @ $3/gal in Mexico = $720. True cost of driving your car with wear, tear, depreciation, etc. would be more like $3,000 - if nothing goes wrong. 40+ hours on the road each way plus border crossings & ferry lines = 4 nights on the road each way. FALSE ECONOMY! If you want an adventure, fine - but only banditos and soldiers have guns; you can't fire back.

Plane tickets start at $514 RT each from ELP, overnight one the way, one day travel return. If you are looking at the cheaper route, fly...!!

Driving thru mainland Mexico, around the Bay, back up the peninsula then across - then car ferry?!
2400 miles each way = 4800 @ 20 mpg = 240 gallons @ $3/gal in Mexico = $720. True cost of driving your car with wear, tear, depreciation, etc. would be more like $3,000 - if nothing goes wrong. 40+ hours on the road each way plus border crossings & ferry lines = 4 nights on the road each way. FALSE ECONOMY! If you want an adventure, fine - but only banditos and soldiers have guns; you can't fire back.

Plane tickets start at $514 RT each from ELP, overnight one the way, one day travel return. If you are looking at the cheaper route, fly...!!

You make valid points, maybe I will fly :) Just called and got our room reservation. :D

Looks like I will be missing the invasion by a week. Donna(MizB) and I are headed down May 27th. This will be another road trip. Will cross the border on Friday morning on the 28th. and hope to catch the 4 a.m. fuel ferry to Cozumel on Sunday morning.

Donna will be staying for the summer as usual but I have to come back in a week.

My last eight trips to Cozumel have been by air and have gotten me spoiled. Unfortunately our Jetta is giving us some transmission problems and the local VW dealership wanted $10,000 US to replace the transmission. And that may not even be the problem.

Considering that I can purchase a brand new one for $3,500 from my local VW dealership this was a nobrainer.

Donna drives the twin to the one we have on Cozumel and since we can't put it in checked luggage looks like a roadtrip. Sure hope that the ferry from Tampa to Progresso becomes a reality.

Here's a breakdown of the actual cost:
1500 miles from Brownsville to Cozumel.

Matamoras to Tampico, Vera Cruz, Villahermosa, Campeche, Merida, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, car ferry.

Drive time 32 to 36 hours. Yes that is driving hours. We usually drive this without stopping except for fuel, bathroom and security checkpoints.

My Jetta diesel gets 44 + mpg on the highway.
At 40 mpg loaded and diesel at 8.5 pesos a liter
figure 38 gallons that comes to roughly: $129 US

Mexican car insurance: $134 US for a year.

Car visa online: $62 US

Car ferry: 380 pesos for cars; 960 for pickups.

Toll road fees. There are no interstate highways; runs $1000 pesos.
Throw in a good $20 hotel room in Vera Cruz if we decide to stop and another $20 for food and we're just over $500. Round trip $1,000.

Lots of sites to see along the way and some very beautiful sunrises. Always enjoy the
service station attendants running out yelling diesel as I'm trying to fill up. The diesel pumps are separate from the gas pumps. Although there is a VW plant in Mexico they clearly don't sell a lot of Jetta diesels in Mexico.

Seven previous trips without an incident. Hope this one goes as smooth as all the others. Had much rather fly but that is just not an option.

Back
Top Bottom