Is Christmas week a good or bad idea to come to Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I usually never travel during peak peak season but this year, I might not have a choice. I've already checked the prices of airfare and hotels and they are 2-3 times as much as I normally pay. Even if I were to accept those prices, is that week a good or bad week to come dive Coz? I don't think anything closes (e.g., restaurants), and I don't think restaurants and dive shops hike their prices during this time, do they? I suppose there would be loads of people everywhere...is there anything else I haven't thought of?

Sure beats Christmas in the gray cold, unless you're into snow sports. Beyond the higher flight costs and busier shops there's no issues I can think of. Been in Cozumel over Christmas 3 times now.

Only other disadvantage I can think of: There can be a tank shortage where the most proactive and largest shops get a monopoly on the fill stations capabilities so it might be better to book ahead of time and with the more 'powerful' dive shops.

Also, more uncommon, some boats leave a little later and there might be some hung over divers who are a late for the morning boats...

Enjoy,
Cameron

The biggest problem may be finding accommodations and they will be 25% more expensive. My hotel and diving has been booked up since March. Other than that it is a very pleasant time to be in Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The Christmas holiday period is very popular. This year will be our fifth consecutive trip over the holidays. We always have a great time and unless someone wants low season crowds I'd say go for it!

Two things I'd add to Cameron's solid feedback:
  1. Boats fill up and you may already be too late for the some of the popular operations.
  2. I haven't done the research to confirm but my observation is that New Years Day is the only date when many boats take the day off.

I usually never travel during peak peak season but this year, I might not have a choice. I've already checked the prices of airfare and hotels and they are 2-3 times as much as I normally pay. Even if I were to accept those prices, is that week a good or bad week to come dive Coz? I don't think anything closes (e.g., restaurants), and I don't think restaurants and dive shops hike their prices during this time, do they? I suppose there would be loads of people everywhere...is there anything else I haven't thought of?
What everyone else has said, so far.
Also, here is my current personal experience- right up to an hour ago (when I locked in the last piece of the puzzle- my hotel). I have never been to COZ at Xmas- only Feb, April and Sept. - Like you, I have a window and started looking at all of my options in the Caribbean a week ago. Cozumel still won out over every other destination for this time period in terms of airfare (from Los Angeles), accommodations and cost of diving. Here are my details- arriving 12/21 and returning 12/31:
1. I will be going down on a Southwest Airlines flight to Cancun for $550. Really not bad for this time period.
2. I booked one of 8 rooms left at the Hotel Suites Colonial downtown. Comes out to $100 a night (all taxes and breakfast at Casa Mexicana included). I have a dive buddy meeting me, so we will share the room, which makes it $50 a night per person.
3. I will be diving with Blue XT Sea and Christi (owner) said she is basically booked out for morning dives, but I believe afternoon dives still have room. But, as Dave said, this is a very busy time of year and many dive operators are already booked to capacity. So, you will need to start reaching out and seeing who is available for you to dive with.
4. In addition to New Years day being a day that many dive ops take off, I believe Xmas day is also. At least true with Blue XT Sea- but no worries for us, we will still get 8 days of diving in and a day off midweek will suit us just fine. Anyway, you will want to check that with the respective ops. As far as I can tell, the dive ops do not charge an additional supplement for this time of year.
5. Food, restaurants, etc. should all be like normal. With so many tourists on the island (foreign and domestic), it should make for a festive time.

We did Occidental last December 12-18th for $1100 All inclusive for two....booked same for this year for December 16-23rd at the exact same price which I consider a steal! Dive with ProDive on site for $35/tank including Nitrox!

Add in airfare, and you have a 4 star experience at a 2star price imho!

I think it would be a great opportunity for freelancing as an instructor/guide, assuming you know the area well and a dive op there well. Comments by people who work/live/own ops down there?

I think it would be a great opportunity for freelancing as an instructor/guide, assuming you know the area well and a dive op there well. Comments by people who work/live/own ops down there?
Visit yes, work without a visa / permit? While Mexico has a very liberal attitude towards their citzens working in other countries they have very strict labor laws concerning foreign nationals working in Mexico. I personally would not like to get deported for working illegally in Mexico.

Visit yes, work without a visa / permit? While Mexico has a very liberal attitude towards their citzens working in other countries they have very strict labor laws concerning foreign nationals working in Mexico. I personally would not like to get deported for working illegally in Mexico.

Working illegally is definitely not what I was implying. Sorry you read it that way. I was referring to getting a work permit to help out a shop during the peak times, as dive pro's can be hard to come by during that time.

FWIW, I have always heard that although air fares are up during the holidays, sometimes you can get a very good deal if you are willing to travel on the actual Xmas or T'giving day. A friend of mine found a screaming good deal to Hawaii on T'giving Day a few years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom