Is coming across a dead diver, that uncommon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoot2retrieve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just finished watching NOVA's extreme cave diving. Was pretty neat to me however I am not an actual cave diver. In the video, in one of the caves they come across a dead diver that is down to bones, and whats left of the gear. Does this happen, regularly? By regular, I mean as often as a mountaineer, does on Everest? For the record I haven't climbed everest either, nor even mountain climb, but I have watched a lot of documentary's on Everest. Curious, whether they are left for the same reasons. Would definitely be a pretty ominous object to come across, and would definitely bottom out my geological high!! Here's the Video that I'm talking about http://video.pbs.org/video/1405567128/

I just set them off to the side so they're not in anyone's way. It's kinda annoying in the popular caves where sometimes you'll have to move 5-10 bodies around to get in the cave.

I'm not sure which show you're referring to, but I can't recall anyone I know (which combined amounts to thousands of hours of cave diving) that has come across an unknown dead body. Typically when a diver is reported missing, a search team looks for and recovers the body within a short period of time.

There are a few exceptions, such as David Shaw running across the remains of a diver in Bushman's Hole, but that was a previously known fatality, it was just too deep to attempt a recovery at the time the diver went missing. Maybe this is the show you saw?

Ha, ha, ucf

No buddy, it is far from common... in fact, extremely unlikely under ANY circumstances save those where a team or diver is prosecuting a body recovery.

I just set them off to the side so they're not in anyone's way. It's kinda annoying in the popular caves where sometimes you'll have to move 5-10 bodies around to get in the cave.

Ha, ha, ucf

UCF is just joking. There's no way he'd just move the bodies out of the way without salvaging their gear first.

The 1st few bothered me, but you get used to those things after a while-------lol

but,........................................I think it's really unusual

I believe that the remains encountered, during the NOVA episode, were known and that the family requested that they remain in the cave as the final resting site.

There is a fairly extensive thread about the show on one of the tech/cave sites, with participation by one of the videographers who worked on the show.

No buddy, it is far from common... in fact, extremely unlikely under ANY circumstances save those where a team or diver is prosecuting a body recovery.

I believe that the remains encountered, during the NOVA episode, were known and that the family requested that they remain in the cave as the final resting site.

There is a fairly extensive thread about the show on one of the tech/cave sites, with participation by one of the videographers who worked on the show.

I'm not sure which show you're referring to, but I can't recall anyone I know (which combined amounts to thousands of hours of cave diving) that has come across an unknown dead body. Typically when a diver is reported missing, a search team looks for and recovers the body within a short period of time.

There are a few exceptions, such as David Shaw running across the remains of a diver in Bushman's Hole, but that was a previously known fatality, it was just too deep to attempt a recovery at the time the diver went missing. Maybe this is the show you saw?

Ok, the way they made it seem to me was like this was just another dive finding a feller. Thank you for the clarity. I would expect nothing less than some awnryness from a group of divers than enjoy doing what you guys do, but all in good fun. :mooner: Again, thank you.

Shoot2, not on your topic but
I like the quote below!

The saddest sight in the world is a dog bowl that has outlived its dog

He is your friend,your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom