Is COVID-19 Especially Bad News for Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Bantin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Is COVID-19 Especially Bad News for Divers? The medical profession is still learning about the Corona-virus but when Dr Frank Hartig of Innsbruck University Clinic suggested the infection might preclude divers from carrying on their sport, diving magazines and online sites went viral. Undercurrent asked other well-informed medics for their opinions too, and the jury is still out. At the moment, we are dependent on different expert opinions and studies will only be available in a year’s time. You can Read-it-for-Free even if you are a non-subscriber in www.undercurrent.org

nevermind

Pretty blatent advertising for another website, all I can say is "Good Luck".

Michael

It's a magazine type of offering, enjoyed by many divers for many years. To my knowledge, they don't have a competing website per se, in that one must pay to enjoy. This is not the case for Scubaboard though users are welcome to help the owner defray costs by becoming a supporter.

Scubaboard members often refer to other publications in their posts.

Please tell me why you take such a strong stance against Undercurrent?

Is COVID-19 Especially Bad News for Divers? The medical profession is still learning about the Corona-virus but when Dr Frank Hartig of Innsbruck University Clinic suggested the infection might preclude divers from carrying on their sport, diving magazines and online sites went viral. Undercurrent asked other well-informed medics for their opinions too, and the jury is still out. At the moment, we are dependent on different expert opinions and studies will only be available in a year’s time. You can Read-it-for-Free even if you are a non-subscriber in www.undercurrent.org

Yes, very worrisome.

I take comfort in Dr. Ebersole's position.

I've had ARDS/Diffuse Pneumonia and recovered well, though it took quite awhile.

Some of you may know that I've been diving quite a bit since then. There had initially been a number of concerns in that regard and others.

To the question at hand, anything effecting our lungs is a concern, but it remains to soon to know.

This is a repeat of a prior thread. There is no evidence to support a statement that COVID-19 causes irreparable lung damage. However, we don’t have have data on long term effect on those who contracted the virus. The undercurrent article states just that, that medical professionals disagree and there is no data. Not much to add to prior discussions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom