Is Coz a good place to buy diving equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have no diving equipment, is Cozumel a good place to buy, regarding price and availability.

I considering whether to buy some of the equipment here (in Spain) before the trip, or waiting to be there.

I am no expert in buying dive gear in far away countries, but I would think in a tourist area like Cozumel, the prices would be a little on the high side. I am sure there are people here that would know better than me. but it just makes sense.

My advise of buying scuba gear is to take you time. This maybe a perfect time to rent gear and lean about other brands of gear other than what you have you have in Spain. This will also keep you from having to travel with extra baggage back home.

My advise when looking at gear the #1 issue IMO is comfort. There are just so many choices nowday and nothing can replace doing your homework even after you have decided on what to buy.

My advise when looking at gear the #1 issue IMO is comfort. There are just so many choices nowday and nothing can replace doing your homework even after you have decided on what to buy.

Yes. I think I simply have no enough experience to be able to choose with any useful criteria. I'll buy a very cheap suit, because I've had problems with finding suits that fit me, and leave the rest for later.

Maybe I'll also get a computer if I can get a cheap one to start. I did some dives with a computer and I'd really want to keep learning to know what's happening by myself even if I'm essentially following a DM who'll take care of me.

You don't want to buy gear in Cozumel. My experience while living there is that most dive gear cost more, unless you are well connected, and then it might be average or equal to normal pricing. Best bet is purchasing gear locally, where you will be doing most of your diving, and from someone that can service it for you.

Brands are somewhat limited in the Island as well.. You go into a dive shop in the US and other countries and they have a lot of equipment on hand to sell (usually).. Most shops on the Island are based more on diving rather than selling equipment.

Back
Top Bottom