is DAN insurance worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was bent very badly in Cozumel and refused recompression therapy until I returned to the USA 5 days later. That had nothing to do with DAN insurance, but because I was seen by a chamber tech instead of the doctor, who wasn't there.

You are asking specifically about DAN insurance. Chambers understand DAN insurance, and know that DAN will pay them, even if your healthcare chooses not to. It's like having a black AMEX at a chamber. If you break your leg in Cancun, you will have to pay before play, or show your international insurance card. Luckily, a simple fracture in Cancun will cost you about a grand US, so it isn't that big a deal.

When I travel, I carry my BCBS card, a copy of my international insurance policy card, and my DAN card. I also carry a platinum AMEX, because I don't want to pay the fees for the black one. They will take one of the 4 for sure. You will not be allowed to leave the country in many countries until you've satisfied the medical provider. That's a fact, Jack, as Bill Murray would say.

Just curious, is there a trip report or something where you explained what happened to you, what went wrong, why/how you got bent?

Also, anyone know what is a typical bill is for a recreational diver that gets DCS?

Last edited:
Wow interesting, I thought only people who did something wrong (ascend too fast, don't safety stop, dive too deep, exceed NDL, etc..) got DCS, didn't realize it could also happen to people diving by the the book

Wow interesting, I thought only people who did something wrong (ascend too fast, don't safety stop, dive too deep, exceed NDL, etc..) got DCS, didn't realize it could also happen to people diving by the the book

I've seen 20 or 30 cases of the bends on my boat. In not one of those cases did a person stay too long (exceed NDL). There is always a reason, but it usually isn't a reason that a dive computer can account for. It's often drinking too much the night before or seasickness (dehydration), smoking (inability of the red blood cells to transport O2), an undiagnosed PFO (shunting nitrogenated blood through the heart, bypassing the lungs), or (IMHO) too liberal of a dive computer for the type of diving being done. I've had one case on the boat where the diver had a yo-yo profile on safety stop (which I call an explained hit), and I know one diver who was breathing a heliox mixture that he probably shouldn't have. Helium hits are far worse than nitrogen hits. 97% of the cases of bends I've personally seen are "unexplained", including mine.

Last edited:
We briefly interrupt this thread to campaign for using "explained" and "unexplained" to describe DCS hits rather than language which implies fault/retribution and inhibits people from telling the truth when they may be bent and need help.

Thank you. Back to your discussion. :)

I love unearned DCS discussions and debates...

Let me tell you my story of how I am too smart to get bent, and I did nothing wrong...

We briefly interrupt this thread to campaign for using "explained" and "unexplained" to describe DCS hits rather than language which implies fault/retribution and inhibits people from telling the truth when they may be bent and need help.

Thank you. Back to your discussion. :)

I changed it, but, as Chatterton says in his blog, a hit is easy to explain. The diver didn't do enough decompression. No further explanation needed. More disingenuous than deserved and undeserved, if you ask me.

If you would like to read Capt. John's blog for yourself, it's right here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom