Is Deep Sea Supply out of business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again I welcome you to return the wing you purchased from me for a full refund

Dibs on the returned wing! Say, 50% off retail? I can replace my Oxycheq and dive a full VDH double hose setup. Just think of the marketing potential!!!!! “All VDH, all the time!!!!”

Sorry if I am obtuse, but why is the lift capacity of a wing subjective?

salt or fresh water?
mounted to the backplate or free?
What size tank?

When Tobin sized his wings, they were mounted to a plate with an 8" tank. The wing was then filled with fresh water and the amount of water the wing holds is obviously the amount that it is able to displace. His wings are usually bigger than comparable lift wings from other companies because of this.
If the VDH wing calls out 18lbs and you don't believe it, fill it with water and see how much more it weighs when its full.

I think bladder volume is a more “objective” measure because the density of water also contributes to of lift (salt vs fresh).

@Jcp2 but is the bladder measured free? is it measured when inside the outer cover? mounted to the backplate? with a tank on? if so, how big is the tank? etc. too many variables unfortunately and there is no consistent measurement. I think Tobin had the best measurement system. It was a true "minimum lift capacity" for his product

How about bladder within outer cover? That seems fixed, and the other stuff really depends. But I agree, a systems approach with a fixed setup would work as long as the user used the same setup. It seems that max and match is more the norm.

I think you guys are way overthinking the wing lift nuance crap. Just get a wing that covers your lift requirements plus maybe a little extra if it makes you feel better and go diving!....Jesus!!
If you don’t like the bungee cord inside the VDH wing? then unzip THE 360 LOOP ZIPPER around the DONUT wing and you will see the end of the cord knotted on the end of the internal sewn in tube that it is threaded through. Untie the knot and pull it out, done. Save it for when you realize that you may want it someday and you can re-thread it through with a safety pin on the end.
Stop complaining, the VDH wing kicks butt. Those roll control cushions BTW aren’t soft fabric pads, they have a hard plastic tube inside that will not smash down or wear out.
The VDH wing is the best thing currently on the market, AFAIK.

How about bladder within outer cover? That seems fixed, and the other stuff really depends. But I agree, a systems approach with a fixed setup would work as long as the user used the same setup. It seems that max and match is more the norm.

but it has to work as a system. Wings lose considerable lift when they are put on a backplate, and considerably more when tanks are mounted. Tobin measured his the way he did because it was designed to work as a complete system. The rest of them are all going to be close enough to their stated capacity so arguing over a few pounds is pretty pointless. It's overall shape anyway that matters for drag, so as long as they're profiled properly it's fine

Totally agree with Eric and tbone. As long as the wing is delivered with its minimum rated lift capacity, who cares if its a few pounds more. As if that is going to change the pleasure of diving. Sheesh. When i bought my first vdh wing from Bryan over 2 years ago, I had asked if it was possible to remove the internal bungee. Bryan said no problem, it can be done, but why would you? And after diving it with the bungee I cane to the realization that it performs excellent with the bungee and the wing us tiny compared to other manufacturers wings. And i have the #35 which is supposed to be the largest, and yet its practically the same size as the #23 inflated so whi cares. I have extra lift when im diving in 3mm and just enough when in 7mm.

I really think this whole minimum wing lift theory and following is way overblown. If the wing is nice and small and doesnt taco (like any of the vdh wings), then dive it and enjoy. Pricepoint is good, Bryan is friendly and the wing holds up in the water and meets the minimum stated lift capacity. Dont lynch him just because his #18 wing provides you with #20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom