• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Is Ginnie Springs good diving?

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by pilot fish, Jan 25, 2009.

1. pilot fish

pilot fish Giant Squid

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thanks. I'll look at it. It will depend on how much time I can devote to a trip down there. Seems like heading to BG & DD is a good move, as you suggest, and then on way back hit GS?

2. pilot fish

pilot fish Giant Squid

Are you saying Fl Spring dives are better, or just different? I would guess Fl holes had a dry period in thier history too, right?

3. battles2a5

battles2a5 Divemaster

As a cave diver, I appreciate both. I like the high flow and dynamic nature of the Floridian systems, but I also love the yucatan for the decorations. I love them all for their own reasons. As an OW diver, I would say the cenotes are more stimulating froma visual standpoint but you can't beat the feeling of a high-flow system in Fl either. Just depends on what you are looking for.

4. pilot fish

pilot fish Giant Squid

High inflow? Is that an inflow from another source and there' s current? Vis is 100 ft?

5. battles2a5

battles2a5 Divemaster

In the springs, its an outflow. Ginnie is a first magnitude spring, so I think the system flows more than 3 million gallons per hour or something ridiculous like that. So yes, there is definitely "current". We refer to the underground current as "flow". Ginnie is a high flow cave so there is a lot of water trying to push you out the hole time. It's so strong that you can't really swim into it. You have to pull your way in. You won't find that in Mexico where the water is relatively static. I would say the viz in MX is better on average, but the vis in FL is still great in most places. Ginnie usually has 60-80ft, depending on where you are in the system.

6. SandyRobinson

SandyRobinson Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The only area where Ginnie has a high flow is near the grate to the cave. Although it is a first magnitude spring, it is not a problem to swim into and around the cavern. Ginnie is one of the safer caverns around. You need a couple of lights but not a line. It is definitely worth a couple of dives. It is actually fascinating to see what water can do to limestone.

7. battles2a5

battles2a5 Divemaster

Uh, no not really. The entire system has flow (when I say "Ginnie" I mean the system (Ear, Eye, Little Devil's, Ginnie, July, Lightning, etc.), not just "Ginnie Spring". The entrance to the ear has more flow than the grate at Ginnie. The eye has considerable flow. There are several areas within the system that have higher flow, and the entire system is considered "high flow".

I wouldn't consider any cavern "safe" without the proper tools and training and I wouldn't recommend penetrating the ballroom w/o a line (as long as you know how to use it). But that's just me. What do I know?

8. SandyRobinson

SandyRobinson Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    LOL, I was only thinking of the ballroom when talking about flow. You are definitely right about the eye and the ear.

9. packman

packman Manta Ray

I would highly advise against going into a cavern with just an AOW cert. You need the skills and training taught in a cavern class to penetrate even a little bit safely.

The Ballroom is unique in that it is a large, wide cavern with enough flow to push out any silt you may stir up. On top of that, it's mostly a sand and rock bottom that would silt too bad, anyway. They also have the grate in there to keep people from going in too far. Not all caverns will be like this.

10. tobonaire

tobonaire Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Yep, did it as well for check-off dives for my rescue and master C-cards. Did some cavern dives there. I'm not cave certified so without techy experience probably isin't worth the time.