Is it bad to PEE in your wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked in a dive shop for eight years and had to wash rental suits. Pee does not come out underwater and reeks later. Unless you've been in the desert for days you don't know what it is like to be dehydrated. If you can't go an hour without peeing yourself you should never drink liquid before diving.
This was my approach, especially before I got those pills. I still have difficulty going more than an hour. No DCS yet--maybe lucky.

It's a little known fact that every scuba diver or surfer attacked by a shark when later checked had peed in their wetsuit!

It's a little known fact that every scuba diver or surfer attacked by a shark when later checked had peed in their wetsuit!

If a shark attacks me, I’d have peed automatically.

Chris Summers did a great job in altering my wetsuit. I had zippers added to my wetsuit arms (wrists) & legs (ankles).

No need to add zipper around the crotch area. I don’t want my precious one get caught by the zipper. :D

+1 for Chris at Terrapin Wetsuits.
For Dan_T. Life lesson to learn early--stow, check, then zip.

Last edited:
If a shark attacks me, I’d have peed automatically.
Yes, it is the egg or the chicken question, what came first, the pee or the shark!

stepping back a bit to be more objective...

If I am leaving my suit behind as a "gift" to the DM? Seems like it is open season.

My first instructor always use to tell everyone that the amonia in your pee is like an aphrodisiac to sharks, so don't pee in the suit. Haven't had one making eyes at me yet.
I always soak my suit inside out for a day in fresh water after a day's diving and once in every 5 - 7 soaks I'll add a weak solution of disinfectant. My suites dry out inside out first and then I turn them to dry the outer, never had smells or other issues.

My first instructor always use to tell everyone that the amonia in your pee is like an aphrodisiac to sharks, so don't pee in the suit. Haven't had one making eyes at me yet.
I always soak my suit inside out for a day in fresh water after a day's diving and once in every 5 - 7 soaks I'll add a weak solution of disinfectant. My suites dry out inside out first and then I turn them to dry the outer, never had smells or other issues.

I’ve done it for 13 years, but no luck with attracting the sharks. :(

I’m always looking forward to pee on my wetsuit. :D Just like fish, when there is an urge, just let it go, no stress, fully relax, floating weightlessly in the water, while watching the fish swim by. What a treat! Where else you can just let it go without unzipping & dropping your wetsuit first? :D

there are two types of divers - those that pee in their wetsuit and those that lie about it.

I have not peed in my wetsuit. But, I am a pussy warm water diver, and do not wear one. I will admit that I have a hard time urinating at depth, though.

Back
Top Bottom