• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Is it crazy to wear a hood with a shorty?

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by studiokpg, Oct 20, 2012.

1. studiokpg

studiokpg Registered

Hi, I'm just getting started in scuba, and looking at my first wetsuit. I'm thinking I want a 3mm long-sleeve shorty for tropical diving which I'll be doing. But for places where it is just a bit too cold for that, thought about adding a hood, since we lose most heat from the head. Am I going to be a dork if I wear a hood with a shorty? :dork2:

2. tstormdiver

tstormdiver Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Not if you want to keep your brain pan warm. Might look at something like a beanie type hood. Where I dive, protection of the ears from the blue gill fish (Kentucky Piranha) is a must.:D

3. Gilldiver

Gilldiver Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The old saying is "If your feet are cold, put on your hat" fits this question. Other considerations are that a hood can keep long hair under control or protect your head if you don't have much on top (my problem).

4. Mike2Fst

Mike2Fst Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    I wear a hood with a shorty often, if the head is warm the rest of the body is happy, at least for me.

5. spectrum

spectrum Dive Bum Wannabe ScubaBoard Supporter

No problem at all it will be a big help.

Be sure to realize that when on a dive intensive vacation you may be making 4-5 dves a day the shorty that is more than adequate on day one may leave you tired and skipping dives by the end of the week as silent hypothermia sets in. A shorty may not be your best first suit.

Pete

oly5050user likes this.
  6. Doc Harry

Doc Harry Solo Diver

I wear a hood with a shorty.

7. CT Sean

CT Sean Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
  8. cbm32

cbm32 Contributor

Dive in what makes you comfortable. If anyone else doesnt like it, it is there problem.

9. studiokpg

studiokpg Registered

Thanks for the good inputs guys!

10. Tortuga68

Tortuga68 Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    "If the experiment had been performed with people wearing only swimming trunks, they would have lost no more than 10% of their body heat through their head"

Who wears swimming trunks and a hat (for warmth)? That's right, nobody. Scientists are the masters of stating the obvious

This is the relevant part:

"Because it was the only part of their bodies left uncovered, most of their heat was lost through their heads"

The thread is about adding a hood to your existing exposure protection, not wearing a hood with budgie smugglers

Per the report, if your head is the only part of your body not insulated (by your wet/dry suit) then that's where you will lose the most heat & therefore where you will get the most improvement in heat retention by adding insulation. QED and duh, thanks science

Shorty, maybe you should consider a full suit as well but I'd rather have a warm head than lower legs/arms, I don't do too much thinking with them

There's a reason why your body shuts down blood flow to extremities first

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012