Is it crazy to wear a hood with a shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

studiokpg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just getting started in scuba, and looking at my first wetsuit. I'm thinking I want a 3mm long-sleeve shorty for tropical diving which I'll be doing. But for places where it is just a bit too cold for that, thought about adding a hood, since we lose most heat from the head. Am I going to be a dork if I wear a hood with a shorty? :dork2:

The old saying is "If your feet are cold, put on your hat" fits this question. Other considerations are that a hood can keep long hair under control or protect your head if you don't have much on top (my problem).

I wear a hood with a shorty often, if the head is warm the rest of the body is happy, at least for me.

Hi, I'm just getting started in scuba, and looking at my first wetsuit. I'm thinking I want a 3mm long-sleeve shorty for tropical diving which I'll be doing. But for places where it is just a bit too cold for that, thought about adding a hood, since we lose most heat from the head. Am I going to be a dork if I wear a hood with a shorty? :dork2:

No problem at all it will be a big help.

Be sure to realize that when on a dive intensive vacation you may be making 4-5 dves a day the shorty that is more than adequate on day one may leave you tired and skipping dives by the end of the week as silent hypothermia sets in. A shorty may not be your best first suit.

Pete

I wear a hood with a shorty.

A hood will keep you warmer than just a shorty but I wanted to point out that "most heat loss from the head" is a myth

"If the experiment had been performed with people wearing only swimming trunks, they would have lost no more than 10% of their body heat through their head"

Who wears swimming trunks and a hat (for warmth)? That's right, nobody. Scientists are the masters of stating the obvious

This is the relevant part:

"Because it was the only part of their bodies left uncovered, most of their heat was lost through their heads"

The thread is about adding a hood to your existing exposure protection, not wearing a hood with budgie smugglers

Per the report, if your head is the only part of your body not insulated (by your wet/dry suit) then that's where you will lose the most heat & therefore where you will get the most improvement in heat retention by adding insulation. QED and duh, thanks science

Shorty, maybe you should consider a full suit as well but I'd rather have a warm head than lower legs/arms, I don't do too much thinking with them

There's a reason why your body shuts down blood flow to extremities first

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom