Is it fair to bring all new gear to my AOW class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moby Dickins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to get my AOW, but all of my diving has been in warm water. Now I live in a place that has cold water. So I bought a new wetsuit, boots, and on top of that bought new reg octo and backplate.

Is it fair to bring all this new stuff to my AOW class? Certainly not being familiar with the equipment (or even the proper weight) is going to slow things down a bit for me. On the other hand, these AOW classes are expensive and I wonder if a bit of flexibility from the instructor might be expected.

Are you able to get a dive or two in before class?

It will be tough. I don't know any divers in the area and I've never been diving around here before.

I think that's what I'll do. It probably won't be as bad as I'm making it out to be, especially if I arrive well prepared for everything else.

There is nothing better than to train in your own equipment under an instructor's supervision. I'd discuss it with the instructor first and they will advise you but most important point is to do the training in your own new equipment.

If it's all set up and operating correctly, I don't see why it would be a problem. The main issues I see would #1 being that new neoprene along with the backplate is going to necessitate a weight check - but that should be part of the class regardless. With a backplate setup, getting straps dialed in may take a little extra time, but nothing major.

What's the class format, and what does your instructor think? If it's a small class with plenty of help on-hand to swap out weights and such, may be a non-issue. If they're teaching at max ratios and you're one of a dozen students they may not be as thrilled about helping you dial things in, but at that point do you expect to be getting much individual attention in the class anyway? Also, where are the dives happening? Adjusting weight on a shore-dive is a lot easier than doing it off a boat.

It's only expensive if you don't get what you want out of it - talk to the instructor and see what they think. Personally, most of my classes are pretty small and I'd welcome the chance to help a student get that stuff dialed in correctly -- as long as we're not unwrapping new kit while the boat is heading out to the dive.

If you can't get a dive in as Marie13 suggested then get to the class location early with another student/buddy and do a weight check. If you can't let the instructor know and they'll likely work the weight check into the day. Instructors and DM's are VERY used to students in gear new to them. It won't be a problem.

I'm still shopping around for class in the LA area, preferably the south bay. None of this equipment has been used before and I set it all up by myself. I guess I'm worried I get there and the spg doesn't work or something like that.

I’m assuming you’ve got a 7mm, plus hood and gloves now. I’ve seen a number of warm water divers have major issues with all the neoprene their first time. If you haven’t already, wear it around the house a bit to get used to the feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom