Is it okay to put the tray and handles in cabin baggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakelldy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Flying with my Nauticam Housing and tray (which is metal). I usually take it apart and check the tray... But cant seem to disassemble it atm. Two of the really small screws are pretty stuck. Has anyone tried just bringing the entire thing in cabin baggage?

I've carried my venerable Sea and Sea tray (ex-Nikonos III now resurrected as a stable GoPro platform!) along with the camera, UW housing, QD arms with ball swivels and the wide angle lights as cabin baggage.
I originally thought they might knock back the arms as with the swivels attached I guess they <could> form a kind of nunchaku weapon but they went through fine on multiple flights throughout Asia Pacific.
Made for better peace of mind too, knowing all the expensive stuff was safe with me in the cabin!

Yep just recently flew Sydney > Tawau, Malaysia on Air Asia with my housing, trays, strobes arms and a ridiculous amount of batteries on my cabin baggage with no problems. They did ask me if I was carrying batteries, but after I showed them they just let me pass. Make sure to keep your housing open for the flight!

My carry on contains my housing, arms and strobes. My personal item is a shoulder bag or backpack with my camera, chargers, spare parts and literature. Never had a problem.
Have lost many items in checked luggage and will never, ever put a camera, housing or essential related item in it.

Back
Top Bottom