• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by jazzyw11, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Sas

Sas Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    When I did the test we had to be vertical. Not sure if this is a requirement though. I float really well (too well in fact, I need a lot of weight still!) so jumped in and lay on my back but was quickly corrected :p

2. Walter

Walter Instructor, Scuba

The standards of NAUI, PADI and YMCA don't specify body position for the float. I doubt other agencies do either.

3. PhilEllis

PhilEllis Dive Shop

Actually, the instructor working with this student is, himself, somewhat of a sinker. This student couldn't even stay afloat when sculling. In over a thousand students, we have NEVER had anyone like this that we couldn't teach to float. The student is working on it now and has been invited to return in two months if there is any improvement.

Phil Ellis

4. SpartanDiver

SpartanDiver Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Where is your scientific documentation for this?

5. TCWestby

TCWestby Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    When I got certified mthe swim test was explained that it was an evaluation to see the individuals comfort in the water.

I was last and am a slow swimmer but I am very comfortable especially in mask and snorklw.

I am now working toward DM candidate.

6. GrlEEEgrl

GrlEEEgrl Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Personally, the shop that i was certified through did not give me the option of using fins/snorkle/mask for my swimming test - I had to do the real deal. I am thankful for that now, because the test was of course before i had all of that equipment on. Sure lots of people can get certified without really knowing how to swim, but can any of you honestly say you would let this person be your buddy? Just getting used to everything tests your comfort levels alone - why add an even greater risk to yourself and others make it tougher. There is just too much going on when you are in the process of getting certified - so many new things to get used to. It is just too risky.

Be responsible - learn to swim before you try to learn to dive.

7. nitroxnut

nitroxnut Instructor, Scuba

I'm really curious where this scuba guru gets his information. PADI REQUIRES that open water or junior open water dive candidates, PRIOR to certification, complete A). 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim and a 10 minute float WITHOUT USING ANY SWIM AIDS...or.......B). 300 metre/yard swim with mask, snorkle, fins and a 10 minute float WITHOUT USING ANY SWIM AIDS....further, IF confined water conditions require a student to wear a buoyant exposure suit, students MUST be weighted for neutral buoyancy. Note the requirements say SURFACE SWIM...that means NO UNDERWATER SWIMMING..some people swim better under water than on surface, but the requirements are in black and white. Make sure that before you consume what some on here write, that they have qualifications to even be posting "what they believe to be factual". This swim question should be answered by your local dive shop PROFESSIONALS...that means active instructors. As an instructor I do NOT pass those who cannot meet the agency requirements from swim thru skill assessment..PERIOD. New concept here...if you are NOT a dive professional, active in teaching, how bout we not give these people asking legit questions personal opinions when it involves the safety and well being of another human being. Conjecture is dangerous in scuba diving....so hence, the "guru" isn't really. YOU WILL NOT GET CERTIFIED PADI if you can't swim...period

8. GrandpaScuba

GrandpaScuba Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    Learn to swim first. Then take scuba. Your local YMCA might have swimming lessons. For that matter, they might have scuba lessons, too. The YMCA is the oldest of all the current certification agencies.

9. lovetoscuba

lovetoscuba Angel Fish

When performing the swim test, are you allow to wear swim goggles?

10. lovetoscuba

lovetoscuba Angel Fish

Also, for the swim test, are you allow to swim any style?