Is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course you can scuba dive even though you cannot swim. I'll bet you can even become a divemaster

There might be some truth in this. I've heard that some are allowed to take a swimming test using snorkel and mask. Sad.... I hope that this is not prevalent.

You could, but it's not a good idea. Being a capable swimmer will help you tremendously. Swimming classes are pretty easy to come by, why not take one before signing up to dive.

If nothing else, imagine a buddy drowning just offshore. You might be called on to jump in and save them, and you'll need to be able to swim to do that...

Tom

You should be a good swimmer to be a diver. Not just an average swimmer or someone who barely gets by. I'm sure that there are instructors out there who would pass someone with little or no swimming skills but I wouldn't recommend it.
If you're truly serious about diving take some lessons and then join your local Master's swim program. The more comfortable you are in the water the better off you and your dive buddy will be.

I must agree with the above post. I know there are some instructors out there that will allow someone with shall we say less than adequate swimming skills to squeek by by using the mask snorkel fin option. IMO this does nothing for the student. Instead it may actually be a disservice to them by creating a false sense of security in them or their buddy. If I'm diving with you and for some reason get into trouble and need rescued and you don't have your gear. What will you do? If you let me drown I'll come back and haunt you. Better yet if you are near the water and a child falls in who also can't swim what will you do? Let him drown because you'd not taken the time to learn a basic life skill. If you are going to be around water learn to swim. If you don't want to then stay away from it. Less chance of creating a situation where someone has to risk their safety to save you when it was totally unnecessary and could have been prevented by a little time and effort. It's why I'm going the YMCA route. You need to swim 200 yds and tread for 10 minutes to start the program. 300 and 15 to complete with no aids. I know the people I'm in the water with will be safer.

Better yet if you are near the water and a child falls in who also can't swim what will you do? Let him drown because you'd not taken the time to learn a basic life skill. If you are going to be around water learn to swim. If you don't want to then stay away from it.

I know I'm going to flamed for this, but...I just don't understand why some people don't learn to swim. Swimming is like riding a bike...it's just something all kids should learn to do, it's a right of passage.

Guys, thanks for the replies/informations.
I can't do threading but I can do backstroke. :) and I love snorkeling, I can stay in the water for like 30mins but with life jacket...
So, I decided I'll take up Intro dive first. If it turns out ok. I might continue my lesson to open water course. Hope I'll pass..

Learn to swim.

The first reaction I have when someone asks this question always is that diving takes place in water. Whether it's walking around on a boat or down a pier, or going down a boat ramp to shore dive, or whatever, you run a risk of falling into the water if you are around it. It's not in scuba gear that you have to be a good swimmer, but what happens if you end up in the water without your gear on?

I think anyone who likes water-based recreation, whether it's boating or water skiing or diving, should be able to make a minimal skill level in swimming as a safety matter.

Swimming is like riding a bike...it's just something all kids should learn to do, it's a right of passage.

And once you learn how, you never forget.

If you spend time in the pool practicing and working on doing one lap and then another, then another...you hopefully can learn to swim. Have someone around the pool who could assist you if you require assistance. In other words, DON'T go in the pool alone. Work on the areas you can't do now or are weakest in. I believe if you really want to learn to dive, then the effort you put forth in the pool learning to improve your swimming skills will help prepare you for the swimming skills test of the class. Also, once you sign up and pass the swimming test you must continue to work on improving your swimming skills. Good luck and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom