Is It Possible to Dive Grand Cayman on a Budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we love getting fresh fish at the GrapeTree and I am also looking forward to trying the Czech Food at this new spot in Bodden Town:

Czech Inn Grill opens in Bodden Town | Cayman Compass

Czech food, huh? Guess we'll have to make sure we go and... um... nope, not gonna say it.

KathyV, I just opened the link and that's Chester's old place. Let us know what you think when you are able to try it.

I hope this shack with a couple of picnic tables at the end of 7MB is still operational. Best seafood on the island (and maybe in the Caribbean) for about 10 bucks/box.

We normally stay out east at Morritt's or The Reef and rent from owners. This allows us to stay in a one bedroom condo (high season) for less than $1,000 for a week. Rental cars are cheap. The vast majority of our dives are shore dives and we normally rent from Ocean Frontiers or at Diver's Supply. We typically do two dives per day. We eat two meals in our condo each day and do not frequent the bars often. Flights are very affordable to GCM. We usually average a total cost of about $1,500 per person for our 7 day trip. Yes, you can do GCM on a budget and still eat and drink like kings, stay on the beach and get plenty of diving in.

If you know your way, you can do GC very cheaply indeed. Renting local accommodation, renting your own car, shopping and cooking for yourself, and a lot of shore diving.

If you are a lucky person who can somehow link up with a local, you can also get "local rate" dives with most of the dive companies at heavily discounted rates, especially out of season.

Local discounts with dive shops recently have been requiring a Cayman Drivers license and another form of "proof' I use my on Island bank card to show "residency" when needed.

Local discounts with dive shops recently have been requiring a Cayman Drivers license and another form of "proof' I use my on Island bank card to show "residency" when needed.

True. Lucky for me I never gave up my Cayman driver's licence when I left.

But if there is one person in the group who can establish themselves as local, and claims the others are his guests, they usually let it slide. I certainly brought plenty of guests when I was living there, and they were happy to extend the local rate to them.

I hope this shack with a couple of picnic tables at the end of 7MB is still operational. Best seafood on the island (and maybe in the Caribbean) for about 10 bucks/box.

You probably mean Heritage Kitchen? Very nice. Another one of my favorites nearby is Alfresco's, a nice terrace right on the beach and very decent value. They have daily specials with a huge plate of local style food (ribs, rice, salad) for about 10 USD.

But now I'm about to hop on my bicycle and pedal 3 minutes to Liberty restaurant, today they have freshly barbequed jerk chicken and pork! :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom